cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Powerapp timeout

Does anyone know if there is a time limit for how long an app can be open and idle?

I've had some issues where i use an app and leave it open with some data then when i retun to use it, it says session has timedout and i end up losing all my data. I've been trying to create a patch into excel and update regularly to prevent losing data. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
davidni
Power Apps
Power Apps

I'm sorry you went through this and ended up losing some work. Are you using the web version of PowerApps (create.powerapps.com)? If so, we currently have a limit on session duration of about 2 hours which you might be hitting. As you approach the limit, you will see a message dialog informing you that the session is about to expire and that you should save your work. When a session expires, you could lose changes that you made to the app (e.g. adding a screen, changing controls, formulas, etc), but this has no impact on data stored in your app's connections. For example, if your app saves an entry into a Sharepoint list, the entry will be preserved even if the PowerApps session times out.

We are looking into lifting the session duration limit, but for now the recommendation is that you save your app often and start a new session if you need more time. I hope this helps, and we encourage you to go to https://powerapps.uservoice.com/ if you have suggestions on how to make this better. It will help us prioritize the features we work on.

David Nissimoff [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi David,

Thank you for your response. I didnt mean timeout during app development, I meant timeout during app use. I have developed an app that sometimes shutsdown while being used or if left idle for sometime. Is there a reason why it times out when idle?

Thank you.

I see. In what platform did you see this happen? iOS, Android, Windows or web?

David Nissimoff [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff
Anonymous
Not applicable

it happened on web. I accessed the site through google chrome on a macbook pro.

Hi,

I've encountered similar issue like this, you could post this idea in the Flow Ideas forum, so it might be considered for future releases.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Is there a session timeout on the Mobile App? If I login to PowerApp using my O365 account once, will it stay logged in for ever?

ChnErl
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi guys,

Is there any update on this topic ?

My users are also having same problem while the app is working on web. App doesnt respond at all after some point.

charafRef
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi ,

read the last comment on this link. They are working to fix the problem (Renew a session to 8 hours ) It's should be fix in a few week ! 

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Renew-the-timer-on-Web-Apps/idi-p/14600

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,451)