cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
irsimeonov Helper I
Helper I

Re: Powerapps BInding to dropdown control?

Ok, I actually solved it.

When I connected my dropdown box to another datasource. For some reason, the DropDown1.Selected returned a result that was of type Record. I had to put DropDown1.Selected.Value in the Update property to actually get Text back.

LEARN_IT Helper III
Helper III

Hi,

Can share your fuction or statement that you used? I have the same problem I can bind the field.

Thanks,

irsimeonov Helper I
Helper I

Here is a bit more detail on the situation that I have:

I have an Edit Form that shows a number of cards from data source which is an Excel table.

One of those cards is called Project Status - when the app was automatically generated, this card had a Text Box where the user could type the project status.

However, I wanted instead of a Text Box, this to be a dropdown that only allowed several choices. These choices are defined in another Excel table (this is just a one-column table that includes the allowed choices).

To replace the text box with the drop down, I did the following:

1. Connected to the other Excel table through Data Sources - the name of the source was tblProjectStatus

2. Selected the text box and deleted it.

3. Selected the card, and inserted a dropdown (let's call it DropDown1).

4. Selected the dropdown and under:

a. Items -> tlbProjectStatus.ProjectStatus (that gave me the list of allowed choices)

b. Defaul -> Parent.Default

5. Selected the card, and under Update -> DropDown1.Selected.Value

Initially, in step 5 I only typed DropDown1.Selected, the powerapps didn't like the type of the value returned. It turned out that DropDown1.Selected returns a Record. Hence, I added the .Value to get a Text back.

rlmckean Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi 

I have followed your moves with this one, and in the edit screen, I can select the drop down etc. However when I save the edit card, the dropdown selection is not saved, even though I have set the update property as you have described. There are no error messages - just no update to that field of the record !!

any ideas

Cheers

Richard

irsimeonov Helper I
Helper I

Richard, could it be that your data source does not accept those values. Try adding a text box that shows any errors such that the text box text has YourFormName.Error.

rlmckean Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi

Thanks for that - I was thinking along the same lines but had yet to work out how to show the error !

Many thyanks

Richard

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it's very clear! Thanks for your help.

Juicygius
Regular Visitor

Hi hpkeong,

I tried exactly what you said but it's not letting me set the Default attribute of the dropdown to Parent.Default neither the Update attribute of the card to Dropdown1.Selected.Value.

I tried to do it the other way around:

Default of the dropdown to Parent.Default.Value

Update of the card to Dropdown1.Selected

The warnings went away and everything seemed fine but at the moment of creating a new entry the server shows an error saying that a value is missing from the item (I don't have the exact error because my app is in spanish sorry)

Any ideas?

Thank you

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. You could try to begin a new project following the steps from the solution. It did work for me.
Anonymous
Not applicable

My card has Default as ThisItem.EventName

It's Update value is: DropDown1.Selected.Value

DropDown1's Default is Parent.Default

DropDown1's Items are: ["A", "B", "C"]

Even if the value is B, DropDown1 will display default as A.

Not sure what I'm missing here. Starting a new project may be too difficult as I have a lot of time vested in this one.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,347)