cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Madumi
Advocate II
Advocate II

Powerapps - Can I limit user permission for app create/edit as well as data access?

I'm new to Powerapps (apologies in advance).

I understand that when I create a new environment, I can remove the Environment Maker role from any users, so those users cannot edit/create an app in that environment... is that right?

Secondarily, is there a way to limit user's access to a single Entity. I would like to store financial data in one entity which I would like only Managers to be able to view/access. Is there a way to accomplish this?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Madumi ,

1)Yes

If you create a new environment, you will become that environment's admin. As one environment admin, you could assign other users' permission on this environment.Environment Maker role is also included.

2)What you are talking about is also included in assigning users permission.

You could assign permission just on a single entity.

12195.PNG

12196.PNG

Here's a doc about how to assign users permission for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/database-security

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

1) You can limit permissions in everything except the default environment.  Everyone in the tenant with a license is a maker in the default environment and that cannot be changed.

2) You can apply permissions in Dynamics 365 to Entities stored in CDS. https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-the-cds-security-model/ 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Madumi ,

1)Yes

If you create a new environment, you will become that environment's admin. As one environment admin, you could assign other users' permission on this environment.Environment Maker role is also included.

2)What you are talking about is also included in assigning users permission.

You could assign permission just on a single entity.

12195.PNG

12196.PNG

Here's a doc about how to assign users permission for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/database-security

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thanks so much @Pstork1  & @v-yutliu-msft  That makes sense.

Would that mean that I can create an app that utilizes data (behind the scenes) found in an entity the user of the app does not have permission to access?

eg. The app has fields to enter data in an entity called "projects." The project entity uses a lookup field "manager name," which draws from the entity called "managers." And within that same "managers" entity, lies the commission percentage those individuals receive.

Is it possible to forbid access to the commission percentage field, while still allowing those who enter "projects" to assign a "manager" for those projects?

Or is there a different way that I can/should accomplish this

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Power Apps does not act as a security layer or elevation.  The App you create uses an OAUth connection that is based on the user running the App.  The App will reflect whatever permissions the user has and grants to the App. There is no way to elevate the Apps permissions ot something higher than the user running it. So although you can limit the permissions of a user to CDS entities, you can't use an App to access entities that the user doesn't have access too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,458)