cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saan
Helper III
Helper III

Powerapps - SQL database as data source (on-premises gateway)

Hello all,

For the first time am using SQL as data source in Powerapps, I have set up the database connected through SQL authentication credentials Admin (SQL connection) from Power apps. Working good.

I have shared my connection (RelaSQLConnection) with users with Can use permissions.

But my question is:  

Coming to the SQL database what kind of permissions should I grant to users (200 users) and User managers(40 Managers). User manager can read data from SQL and generate reports. Users need to enter data from power apps and should store information in SQL database table? And User manager can update the Users data and their Own data as well?

If I grant edit permissions for the tables they can access through SQL server management right? and they can able to edit directly the table right, with out using the power app?

or am I missing some concepts here?

Note: all have Power apps per user plan (240 users)

Thanks,

Saan

7 REPLIES 7
Saan
Helper III
Helper III

Please little urgent, can some one help me in understanding this concept.

Saan
Helper III
Helper III

@WarrenBelz or @RandyHayes Can you help me on this please?

@Saan ,

Sorry, I am not an SQL user - @RandyHayes has been offline for a couple of weeks.

kulkarni_anuj
Frequent Visitor

@SaanHello you can go through the link  which can help you: gateway-management 

Thank you for the response @WarrenBelz 

Saan
Helper III
Helper III

@kulkarni_anuj I have installed the gateway successfully and added users to use that gate way and SQL Connection as well, but my question is What is the permissions do we need to grant to the users of PowerApps to the SQL DB? if we give edit permissions, then can directly edit the table information right? What is the alternate way?

Like If users from Power apps only need to have access to edit and create permissions, if te same user comes directly to Database in SQL through SQL Studio, he should only have read permissions.

Is that works?

Thanks,

Saan

@Saan  Yes it is possible for that you need to create an user login in sql studio and set read  permission for that user 

pls refer below link for more idea https://www.guru99.com/sql-server-create-user.html

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power Apps Community Call Jan. 2022 768x460.png

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, January 19th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,312)