cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Re: Powerapps and Sharepoint Online Permissions

But this means, that you embedded your SharePoint List in a List Webpart on a SharePoint Site, is that correct?
In this case, users could still find out the direct URL to you SharePoint List, where the layout and design of the List Webpart are not applied. So with a link like this http://mySharePoint.com/sites/mySiteName/lists/myListName there would still be a way to reach the data source.

I don't think there is any good solution for this right now.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

You can acheive this by taking the following 3 actions

1. Remove the 'Customise with PowerApps' option from your SharePoint list forms by reducing your users permissions from 'Edit' to 'Contribute'

• Navigate to your SharePoint site, Click Settings cog > Site Permissions > Advanced permissions settings
  • Click 'Create group', give it a name and set it's access level to 'Contribute - Can view, add, update, and delete list items and documents.'
  • Add your users to this new group and remove them from the standard members group

2. Disable datasheet view

• Navigate to the list which stores your data, Click Settings cog > list settings > advanced settings 
  • Set 'Quick Property Editing' to No
  • Save

3. Configure your SharePoint list form to open in view mode for all standard users

• Navigate to the list which stores your data, Click new > Customise with PowerApps
  • In the tree view click 'App'
  • In the property dropdown select 'OnStart'
  • Set the formula to 'Set(varMe, User())'
  • In the tree view click 'SharePointIntegration'
  • In the property dropdown select 'OnNew'
  • Set the formula to 'If(varMe.Email = "myAdminEmail@Outlook.com", NewForm(SharePointForm1), ViewForm(SharePointForm1))'
  • In the property dropdown select 'OnEdit'
  • Set the formula to If(varMe.Email = "myAdminEmail@Outlook.com", EditForm(SharePointForm1), ViewForm(SharePointForm1))
  • Save & Publish

There you go, now your users can cause much less trouble. You can also change the last 2 formulas to allow multiple static administrators by using the If Or construct. If you prefer to manage your admins dynamically you could consider storing their names in a people picker in a SharePoint list, adding it as a datasource to the list form you just configured and use the IsEmpty() and Search() functions to check if an admin is logged in.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

This has actually solved the issue for me!

Thank you, AlisterT!

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Glad I could help 🙂

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @AlisterT - Instead of this, how about @Adam_116 's suggestion as mentioned in this comment? Thanks. 

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-PowerApps-Formerly/Prevent-people-from-accessing-ShareP...

Copied down for reference below:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would welcome any feedback or flaws spotted on this approach. Aim is to allow users to only add/edit items through the app, and prevent them getting in to the SharePoint (Team Site).

1) Modify the Read permissions level to only include site permission 'Open  -  Allows users to open a Web site, list, or folder in order to access items inside that container.'

2) Add users to the 'Site Visitors' group which gives Read permission to the site

3) Stop Inheriting Permissions on the concerned lists

4) Modify the 'Contribute' permissions level to only include: 

Site Permissions - Open  -  Allows users to open a Web site, list, or folder in order to access items inside that container. & View Pages  -  View pages in a Web site.

List Permissions - View Items  -  View items in lists and documents in document libraries. & Edit Items  -  Edit items in lists, edit documents in document libraries, and customize Web Part Pages in document libraries. & Add Items  -  Add items to lists and add documents to document libraries.

5) For the concerned lists give the Visitors user group Contribute access to the the list.

Anytime I have tested this with a user (both the Sharepoint URL & List URL) they get the message stating they do not have access/request access.

Thanks

Adam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Avinash,

Sorry, I don't know what you are asking me here?
It sounds like you tried the solution you quoted... Did it work?
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @AlisterT - Yes, it worked for my scenario. Users with direct SP list direct URL get access denial error and still be able to write to the SP list via PowerApp. Please let me know if there are any corner cases need to verify? Thank you!

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I don't know what you're asking me, sorry
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi @AvinashK 

I tested the approach on my site and it worked out just fine.

Thanks to @Adam_116  in advance!

I really like the approach, because it lets you set up a website, which is unreachable for 'normal users' and which can hold all the data for your PowerApp AND lets users view/edit/delete this data ONLY through the PowerApp, but not through the SharePoint GUI.

Exactly what I was searching for!

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @simb55 ,

I have followed the step to set up my sharepoint permission level, but user still can't view or edit list data via powerapps,

below is my permission setting of Site Visitors, any advise?

pic.png

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,559)