Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
vshah2
Level: Power Up

Powerapps offline authentication

Hello Team,

I'm trying to understand how the authentication is done in powerapps specially when the user is offline.

Meaning, When i turn on the airplane mode on my cell phone, I can still log in to my powerapps, how does the authentication works offline? I request you if you can share any good article that explains this offline authentication mechanism. 

Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Powerapps offline authentication

I'm not sure what you mean in this context by authentication.  When you put your phone in airplane mode you can only run apps that have already been cached on your phone using data that is already cached on your phone.  you authenticate to the application on your phone while you are online and then use the cached copy on your phone when in airplane mode.  There is no authentication, other than any security features built into your phone, that happens when you are offline.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
vshah2
Level: Power Up

Thanks for the reply. So if I understand correctly, In order to use the power apps offline, the app with the data has to be cache on local device and when you open the app offline, NO AUTHENTICATION DONE.

When you go online from offline and if the authentication is successful, then It will sync the data to data source. 

is it correct understanding?

Thanks.

Eelman
Level 10

@vshah2 

This may not be what you are asking, but PowerApps doesn't send your data back to the data source automatically when you return from offline mode to online mode. You have to manage that using LoadData and Patch/Collect/etc.

LoadData takes the data saved to the device (using SaveData), and creates an inApp collection. You then need to Patch this collection to your data source. 

The Patch doesn't know which records to Patch either. For example, if in Offline mode you have Removed/Edited/Added to any records you have to design your Patch code to handle all of these changes. I have a video link somewhere that demonstrates a way to handle all of these three actions.

I'm currently working through the issues around Online/Offline mode.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,491)