cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgillespie
Advocate I
Advocate I

Powerapps search of Sharepoint document library - multiple column types

I am building a Powerapp that will search a document library that consists of these column types:

• single line of text
  • choice
  • date and time
  • hyperlink or picture
  • person or group

When building my search, I am use the following formula:

Search('Doc library',SearchBox.Text,"{Name}")

It will find anything in the name column but not the other columns.  What is the search formula to get it to search all the other columns?  I can see the column names pulled up when adding to the formula but adding them breaks the search.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
rsaikrishna
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@dgillespie 

Search( Table, SearchString, Column1 [, Column2, ... ] )

• Table - Required. Table to search.
  • SearchString - Required. The string to search for. If blank or an empty string, all records are returned.
  • Column(s) - Required. The names of columns within Table to search. Columns to search must contain text. Column names must be strings and enclosed in double quotes. However, the column names must be static and cannot be calculated with a formula. If SearchString is found within the data of any of these columns as a partial match, the full record will be returned.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-filter-lookup 

See in your use case, whether you can use Filter function.

Regards

Krishna Rachakonda

If this reply helped you to solve the issue, please mark the post as Accepted SolutionMarking this post as Accepted Solution, will help many other users to use this post to solve same or similar issue without re-posting the issue in the group. Saves a lot of time for everyone.

This is the formula I am using now and it yields no results:

Search('Email Database - Testing',"",["Campaign","Audience","Target","Approval_x0020_Date","AM_x0020_Link"])

I have tried without brackets as well and either way it generates 6 errors - 5x wrong column type, expects text type and 1x the function search has some invalid arguments. 

Zenfruit

This is exactly what I'd like to do! But I've found this quite difficult to achieve. It seem using power apps with lists is straightforward, but doc libraries is a bit more tricky. Are you importing the doc library file info into a list first, or using these commands to search a doc library directly? Is there a specific piece of guidance documentation you've found useful in building this app? I seem to be going round in circles at the moment!

Yes I had the same problem, 2 SharePoint libraries and so I created a single SharePoint list and used Power Automate to take the document properties and copy them to this list. Then the power app could use this to search.

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,248)