cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Premium Connections

We have the Office 365 E3 license which includes the PowerApps for 365 lisence.

Does this mean I can't use the Premium connection for a SQL database?

Premier.png

I've been tearing my hair out trying to get an app to connect to a SQL database, but if it turns out we need to pay for the Plan 1 then there's no point trying and stick to writing to an Excel spreadsheet!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

E3 includes PowerApps Plan 1.

We have E3 and use the SQL Data Gateway - no issues.

Yes, there was some hair pulling getting it set up, but after that, the hair grew back.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

E3 includes PowerApps Plan 1.

We have E3 and use the SQL Data Gateway - no issues.

Yes, there was some hair pulling getting it set up, but after that, the hair grew back.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @RandyHayes

It's still not very clear as it says PowerApps for Office 365 is seperate to Plan 1 and 2. 

Glad to know it's not a nightmare for everyone. Apart from not being able to open any apps edit screens and PowerApps not working in IE it's going just fine!

@Anonymous What??? Microsoft is not clear on their licensing??  Smiley LOL

I agree it is very unclear.  If you read the Licensing Overview, it leaves one scratching their head (the one with little hair left).

It implies that PowerApps plans include with Office 365 are different than Standalone P1 and P2.  However, there is no definition of this clearly - and, one could assume (possibly erroneously) that the Office 365 plan is in fact P1.

The only saving grace I can say is that, from what we've done with just an E3 (and other levels too) subscription, that we're able to access the SQL connector to on-premise data.  At least we can today!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
October Events

Mark Your Calendars

So many events that are happening this month - don't miss out!

Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Users online (3,904)