cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Langemyr
Helper II
Helper II

Premium Connector

We are thinking of connecting some apps to the onprem sql server, but see this requires an additional license for $ 40. We are currently 180 users of the system in our construction company and to achieve this we have to pay 7200 $ extra per month.
It will be much cheaper for us to create android / Ios apps.
We are now thinking of leaving microsoft in this area ..
What looked very good came to an abrupt end 😞

Or have I misunderstood something

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Langemyr 

Actually, you can get the per-app plan at $10 per user per month.  Depending on the scope of your app, this is still cheaper than alternative development (especially when you consider the time to production with PowerApps is *significantly* lower).  With that plan, consider how far $21k (180 users per year) would go to developing an alternate app (design. develop, infrastructure, security, changes and maintenance, deployment, etc)...not very far.

However...your other alternative is also viable.  You can acquire 1 license for a standalone PowerAutomate flow that would sync data on a schedule.  If real-time data is not an issue in your app, then it is an option.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Langemyr
Helper II
Helper II

The alternative is to use power automate to synchronize data from sql to a sharepoint list. not an ideal solution but will work

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Langemyr 

Actually, you can get the per-app plan at $10 per user per month.  Depending on the scope of your app, this is still cheaper than alternative development (especially when you consider the time to production with PowerApps is *significantly* lower).  With that plan, consider how far $21k (180 users per year) would go to developing an alternate app (design. develop, infrastructure, security, changes and maintenance, deployment, etc)...not very far.

However...your other alternative is also viable.  You can acquire 1 license for a standalone PowerAutomate flow that would sync data on a schedule.  If real-time data is not an issue in your app, then it is an option.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

Still to expensive.. We are a construction companie that build houses. Not mutch left in the box 😉

We had a meeting with a vendor today and got a price for a complete system with apps for Android and ios for $160 + $3 pr user /month. This is affordable for us. To bad ms made SQL connector premium 😡😡

Microsoft is on another planet..... 

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Langemyr 

At that price, your app has to be an ultra simple app. 

In which case, I agree that the price point for the connector exceeds the purpose.  I have run into this with clients before.  In fact, we had an app that used the connector deployed to a client when they made the change in the license.  It was also a super simple app, but it needed SQL data.  The client ditched it after the change because it made no sense to spend that kind of money (in this case it was over 500 users) for what amounted to a company directory.  I shared your same feeling on the change!

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Langemyr Totally agree!

And we have allrady payd $$$ for the SQL server... 

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Langemyr 

Yes...I would like to see them at least allow connection to Azure SQL as not premium.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,798)