cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SamB2
Level: Powered On

Problem with UTC and daylight savings time?

I have an app for sign-up to training sessions, all based off a series of Sharepoint lists. I have set the Sharepoint regional settings to reflect UTC time but there is an issue with how the time saved in the list is being reflected in the app.

For example:

Time in list:          9:00

Timezone:            UTC + 1

Should show:       10:00

Shows:                  11:00

I have this problem if I switch to timezones UTC +1 and UTC +2 but after this, it seems to reflect correctly. That is leading me to think it is potentially a daylight savings issue? I have the 'adjust for daylight savings automatically' option checked so have a feeling it is this.

The app itself is a gallery view with the date & time returned as per the list.

Any ideas anybody?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SamB2

Re: Problem with UTC and daylight savings time?

I've worked it out. If I set the Sharepoint list time zone to anything except UK (so BST, shows as UTC +0) then it works properly. I've set it at UTC + 1 (Copenhagen) and tested all time zones and it reflects correctly. It must be the perculiarity with the three seconds of British Summer Time which confuses it. 

Thanks everybody!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Displaying times in local time zone

Hi @SamB2 could you provide more information about your specific question?

Do you want to display different time zones in regards to your users?

You can set the Date time zone property of your Date picker control. Moreover you can use variables to set the "right" time zone.

Best regards.

SamB2

Hi

Thanks for responding. I worked that issue out but have a new and exciting one which I've just updated the post with. I realised Powerapps automatically translates times into the local system time but seem to be having an issue with certain time zones.

Sam

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @SamB2 ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved your problem, please go ahead to click the "Accept as Solution" to identify this thread has been solved.

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think you have some misunderstanding date time process in PowerApps.

When working date time in PowerApps, the date time values would be converted into UTC format automatically. Then pass the UTC formatted time value into your SP list, then the UTC formated time value would be converted into the specific time zone your SP Site set to. If the time zone of your SP Site set to your local time zone, then the passed UTC formatted time value would be converted into your local time zone.

Same process when you display time value from your SP list into an canvas app. The Time value in your SP list would be converted into UTC time value firstly, then pass the UTC formatted time value into your app. Then within your app, the passed UTC time value would be converetd into your local time zone (in default).

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
SamB2

Thanks for responding. So if I've understood you correctly, I don't need to do anything, it all works automatically?

That doesn't explain why I am getting an incorrect return in the canvas app when I set the system time zone to UTC +1 and +2 though. It is returning an incorrect time back.

Bulldog

We made a PowerApp and reported through PowerBI. We didn't specify a time - so by default was 0:00. PowerBI or PowerApps tried to be clever and in the UK when the clocks went forward at Midnight on the Sunday - all the records put in for the following morning on the Monday - went in as  Monday at 00:00 - were then displayed in PowerBI as being on a Sunday i.e. it thought Monday at 00:00 - was really the Sunday...

We ended up by adding a time of 12:00 to all the dates - although time was irrelevant.

SamB2

Re: Problem with UTC and daylight savings time?

I've worked it out. If I set the Sharepoint list time zone to anything except UK (so BST, shows as UTC +0) then it works properly. I've set it at UTC + 1 (Copenhagen) and tested all time zones and it reflects correctly. It must be the perculiarity with the three seconds of British Summer Time which confuses it. 

Thanks everybody!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,921)