Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rados
Helper II
Helper II

Problem with loading excel source file for a user in another tenant

Hi,

I made an canvas app in PowerApps. I have used Excel file on OneDrive for Bussines as a source file for that app. I work in company which has three Office365 tenants, and when I try to share PowerApp with colleague from another tenant, there is a problem. Colleagues from another tenant are able to open the app, but they aren’t able to load content from excel’s source file. It shows app’s interface without excel content. App works fine on the tenant where I made it. All users have a Office365 Bussines Premium licenses. I tried to do this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app#share-with-guests, so I assigned PowerApps license, over Azure Active Directory, to user from another tenant. As I mentioned before, it’s showing app, but doesn’t display the content.

Did anybody have the same problem?

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Rados ,

Update on this - Laura Rogers has just released a new post on this. After reading and watching the video, I thought "that does not work - I have tried it". So I went to the site permissions, deleted the test account (my GMail account) and added it again and I can now use the Power App edit screen logged in with this account (note you have to set up a Microsoft account with the email address, but I had already done this).

Please give this a test and see if it works for you.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rados ,

Have you shared the Excel file in OneDrive to the users in another tenant?

You need to share the Excel data used by the app with other tenant users. Please go to OneDrive for business to share the Excel files.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app-data 

Snipaste_2020-04-08_10-15-57.png

Hope this helps.

Sik

@v-siky-msft 

That's the first thing I did. Also, I found one message on a forum about how to add that file in a folder, and then share that folder with another users, but that also didn't work. I will put a SS as an attachment of all users that should have access to the source file.

Hi @Rados ,

Try sharing this way in OneDrive

1. Select Folder - three dot menu (or file if you do not want to share the folder)
  2. Manage Access
  3. Advanced
  4. Grant Permissions

We needed to do this to give users the access they needed.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

@WarrenBelz ,

We still have the same problem. I heard something about that at least one PowerApp must be on another tenant so we can share an app with that tenant. Is that true? It seems like I tried every potential solution, but we are still without result.

Thanks for trying to help.

Hi @Rados ,

If I understand your question correctly, this put a different slant on things - I was dealing with Excel sharing, it seems your issue is PowerApps sharing. You are correct in that sharing Powerapps outside your tenant requires either the other person to have at least an equivalent O365 licence, or be added to your tenant. Is this what you are asking?

@WarrenBelz 

User in another tenant can open PowerApp (I've assigned him a Power App Trial License through Azure Active Directory). It seems like sharing PowerApps license works fine. But, he can't load content from Excel file, which is source file for that application. Hi has just a blank application without any content. All other users, in main tenant, can use PowerApps and load content just fine, without any problems. I'm not sure if there is a problem in communication between PowerApps and OneDrive's Excel file. I suppose there is a problem with content sharing between OneDrive and PowerApps for external users.

All users, from both tenants, have Office 365 Bussines Premium licenses.

Hi @Rados ,

A new one on me as none of our externally-shared apps have any Excel sources.

I am assuming that you cannot share the Excel file as per the settings in my earlier post with these users?

@WarrenBelz 

Exactly.

Yesterday I got an information that there is an error when external user tries to open this app within a Web Browser on PC. Error message is attached. It seems this is the same error as this one: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Failed-to-read-meta-data-from-file-source/td.... I'll try this and if it helps I will post a message here.

Yes @Rados ,

Another design oversight - external sharing has been a recent addition - obviously OneDrive/Excel sources were not in scope/not considered.

If you can get this data into SharePoint, you will never go back to Excel. I have a couple of legacy static reference lists in Excel and will be converting them when priorities allow.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,841)