cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hairyjeremy

Problems using MS guide for creating apps using dependent drop down lists

Hi,

This is my first attempt at building a PA. I needed to use dependent drop down lists, so I've been following this MS guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/dependent-drop-down-lists

My app is more or less working but there are a couple of bugs I can't seem to resolve. I've already read through and applied the fixes provided in the feedback on this article. I don't think I am the first to encounter these issues, but they don't seem to have been answered in the feedback:
1. Although selectable and dynamic in the app, 'Department' results don't seem to be reported to the s/p list. Instead, seemingly as a default the app appears to report a result from the 'Location' list, and this doesn't change when you select different 'Locations' or 'Departments'.
2. When you select a new 'Location', and 'Department' in the app, if the 'Department' selected is not top of the List then when you submit the completed form, the 'Department' changes from the one you selected to the 'Department' at the top of the list. Because of the first bug, I have no idea if this is just a display issue, or if the wrong result would be submitted. If you re-select the 'Department' you wanted, without change the 'Location' it doesn't seem to do it.

Appreciate that this is from an old thread, but as the MS guide is still out there, this may be of help to others using it.

Thanks community!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CNT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Hairyjeremy try changing the update property of the Project Title Data card to ddProjectTitle.Selected.'Project Title'

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
CNT
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Hairyjeremy would you mind sharing some screen shots to better understand the issue.

Thanks for engaging @CNT 

Not sure if this gives you enough clarity, but I've tried to show this is in the app screen in sequence of selection then review mode, so you can see the difference between what is user selected and the actual result reported by the app. Lastly I've shown the coding for the Project Title field. Obviously in my version I've changed 'Location' for 'Work Category' and 'Department' for 'Project Title', so hope that doesn't make it confusing...

R3dKap
Super User
Super User

Hi @Hairyjeremy,

What's in your ddWorkCategory.Items property?

Hairyjeremy

Thanks @R3dKap 

ddWorkCategory Items property contains the formula: 

Hairyjeremy_0-1621160472629.png

R3dKap
Super User
Super User

I find this code a bit strange as it will return nothing when the application is used for the first time as the datasource will be empty (so how will anyone create any data in there?). Usually, a category field is a choice fields as it has fixed values that rarely change.

What do you think?

CNT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Hairyjeremy try changing the update property of the Project Title Data card to ddProjectTitle.Selected.'Project Title'

View solution in original post

Many thanks @CNT, so glad to have finally got it working!

Hi, sorry I should have explained that the drop down lists are extracted from a separate list, which is what that code is looking at. Anyway, all sorted now, but thanks for engaging. Appreciated.

CNT
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Hairyjeremy Glad it's working for you. 😊

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call? Check out the recording here!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (17,719)