cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yahya
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Problems with the existing CDS Standard Entities

I have problems to understand how CDS Standard Entities are supposed to work, Standard are recommended by Microsoft to be used, while custom entities do not work in the same sense (for instance: Person Name!).

One problem with Standard entities is, Organization Entity: it does not have an Organization Name, only a READ ONLY Full NAME field, and FullName for an organization does not look the best way to identify an organization.

While in Business Unit Entity, there is an Organization Name Field and can be edited. I think this field is misplaced and should exist in Organization Entity. Isn’t that right?

6 REPLIES 6
Meneghino
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Yahya

Could you please expand on the Person Name issue for custom entities?  I do not use the standard entities and just use custom entities, so I am interested to see if I am missing anything.

Thanks.

Hi @Meneghino..

In Standard Entities, person names are deal with as follows: -

1. A Field called GivenName, with Person Name datatype, and this itself makes 4 fields

a. Given Name

b. Middle Name

c. Surname

d. Name JSON

above fields are accessible only via PowerApps or Excel Add in, so you will not see them in the Entity design in the portal.

2. Standard Entity is also suppleid with a FullName field, text type, that IS READONLY and works as calculated field taking value from above fields as in concatenate

the issue with Custom entity is if I make a field to deal with FullName, it does not calculate. clear?

Meneghino
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Yahya

I created a person type field in a new custom entity and it seems to work, please see below.

What issues are you having?

Thanks.

__.JPG000.JPG

It works. However, I cannot add a FullName Text Datatype field to my custom entity and works as in Standard entity. Again, in Standard entity, Microsoft deals with person name in 2 fields:

GIVEN NAME: PERSON NAME DATATYPE, GIVES 4 SUB FIELDS

FULLNAME: TEXT DATATYPE, CALCUALTED AND IS READ ONLY

Meneghino
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks for clarifying @Yahya

Basically you are saying that standard entities also have a calculated field, whereas in custom entities we cannot yet create our own calculated fields.

Hopefully we will be able to do that soon!

Hopefully..

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call? Check out the recording here!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (18,262)