cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlennG77
Frequent Visitor

Product Information App (noob question)

Totally noob question here, but I'm so noob I don't even know the terminology to search for.

I'm building an app for staff to quickly and easily find information about the 500+ items we sell. Initially it's just for information purposes, but as I learn, I want to build in abilities to create quotes, PO's, etc.

For now it's 500-600 products with details like code, sell price, buy price, supplier, description, etc. Down the line it could become 5000 products though, as I had entire supplier catalogues rather than just our most popular items.

My question is, what is the best, quickest, easiest way to set-up the source data to handle images? I can't figure out how to display images of the product on the Browse Gallery (see image). Do I have a Sharepoint Product Library? Is it a URL in the Sharepoint list with the other data? The images are always ProductCode.jpg.

Some tips on best data practices and then the FX on the browse gallery would be amazing. Obviously I want to avoid manually adding attachments or images to the existing list (But if that process can be automated, great). And thank you so much for such a silly early stumbling block.

Glenn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @GlennG77 ,

For attachments, you cannot "bulk attach" 500 items - you would need to do each picture individually on the relevant list record (but this is a once-off task) - the code you mentioned would then work on each item.

For the Library, you would need to give each picture a different name, however one time-saver you could do is name them the ID number of the "parent" list (1.jpg, 2.jpg etc) and then in a SharePoint Datasheet view bulk copy and paste this into a numeric field to reference the picture. The picture is then

LookUp(
   YourLibraryName,
   YourRefField = ThisItem.ID
).'{Thumbnail}'.Large

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @GlennG77 ,

I have a blog on SharePoint Image storing and viewing that may be of assistance. In your case, you could use a Library (although you would need to have different names on the files) and have an identifier (the ID of the parent item is a good one) in a field in the Library metadata. You could also consider simply attaching the image to each item - there is also the process for displaying these in the blog.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

GlennG77
Frequent Visitor

Hi

Hi @GlennG77 ,

For attachments, you cannot "bulk attach" 500 items - you would need to do each picture individually on the relevant list record (but this is a once-off task) - the code you mentioned would then work on each item.

For the Library, you would need to give each picture a different name, however one time-saver you could do is name them the ID number of the "parent" list (1.jpg, 2.jpg etc) and then in a SharePoint Datasheet view bulk copy and paste this into a numeric field to reference the picture. The picture is then

LookUp(
   YourLibraryName,
   YourRefField = ThisItem.ID
).'{Thumbnail}'.Large

View solution in original post

Hi Warren,

Thank you, that worked. Looks l need to setup a Flow to add the RefField ID's to the Library from an excel sheet, as the 500 could possibly be done manually, but 5000 definitely can't be.

Appreciate your help.

Glenn

Hi @GlennG77 ,

You can bulk-paste them from Excel but need to do 50-100 at a time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,012)