cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vkevin
Level: Powered On

Project Lunch Management

Hello everyone,

Working for a enterprise, every lunchtime we command sandwich, i take the command of each colleague but it is a real waste of time.

I would like to create an application allowing my colleagues to choose their sandwich via an Excel database stored on Onedrive, i think PowerApps would be the ideal tool to perform this application, unfortunately after some manipulation i realize that i didn't the knowledge necessary to do so. Can someone guide me to the solution please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Vkevin

Re: Project Lunch Management

Hey,

I work on it, the problem was the wrong name of value, it was my fault but now all is ok.

appsanwich fini.png

All option work (time, comment, ingredient and i add the price)

Now I can show it to my colleagues and especially the live test.

Thanks for all the support and reply you did for me.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Vkevin,

I just create a easy sample here. Which might not meet the requiements, take a try with the following steps, and if you have any further requirements, please post back.

First, we need create two Excel file, one for the Lunch booking, one for lunch contents, Format the data form into tables, then upload then both into OneDrive (Or some other cloud storage that could be connected by PowerApp.)

Second, New a Lunch App in PowerApp, connect to Lunch booking, which would contain the date, Employee ID, Name and the Lunch;

After that, we need to change the default Text Input under the third screen (Auto Generated by PowerApp) to DropDown list, Select the Lunch Form in third Screen, in the right side pane, click advanced, then unlock it, then under navigation, click Insert-Controls-DropDown, rename it to LunchName,

Once done, delete the TextInput box, here you would receive two yellow mark under the Lunch form, don't worry, click each of them,

the inner side yellow mark indicate the wrong format (Y here ) of the form, we need replace the deleted inputText name with the dropdown name, Click on the inner side yellow mark, the formula should be:

DataCardValue6.Y + DataCardValue6.Height

change to LunchName.Y + LunchName.Height

The outer side yellow mark show the error of the Update function, click on the outer side yellow mark,  it should in a format of below: DataCardValue6.Text

Change to LunchName.Selected.Value

Now it should show no errors.

After this, we need to give the dropdown box values, select the LunchName dropdown, find the item function, by default it should be:

DropDownSample

We need first add the LunchType Excel file into PowerApp. Under Navigation, click Content->Data Sources, add a data source. Add the Lunch Contents (Here I named it to lunchtype), once added, change the Items of the LunchName to

Table1_1.LunchType

Table1_1 is auto-generated by PowerApp, which is the table of the lunch contents.

Also please change the Default fucntion of LunchName Dropdown from "1" to Parent.Default.

See some screenshots:

(Please ingore the _PowerAppID column, which is auto-generated by PowerApp)

21.PNG

22.PNG

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Vkevin

Hey,

Thanks for your reply, i dont understand the second point :

"Second, New a Lunch App in PowerApp, connect to Lunch booking, which would contain the date, Employee ID, Name and the Lunch"

Create a new app ? ou Lunch app ? What is Lunch Booking, default app ?

Sorry, i'm really a beginner.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Vevin,

Yes, create a New App from the PowerApp Studio, or PowerApp Studio for Web.

23.PNG

Follow the guide below to connect to the Lunch Management(Lunch booking) Excel file

Generate an app from Excel data

Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Vkevin

Hi Michael_Shao,

Well very nice tips 🙂 it works fine but i still got suggestion to improve the project.

Here are my thrid screen

appSDimg1.png

And here are my dropdown LunchName :

appSDimg2.png

As you see in LunchName, i would like display to my people each sandwich and the indregients for each of them. How can i do that ?

Second, I would like create a text boxt wich allow people to write comment for their command.

Ok for all that project but how to save all the entry in the actually database or a new database ?

Thanks a lot for helping.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Vjevin,

Glad to help here.

I will do some testing from my side and would share the results regarding the indregients.

Besides,  could you please explain a bit regarding how you would like the indregients to show here?

For comments, we could just create a new column in the management Excel file, then the app would generate the Text Box automatically.

The actual data would be updated into Lunch Management Excel file, for the App, we need click on File->Save, then name the App with the proper name. After that, it would be available for your users to download and use.

Next steps
Press Ctrl-S to save your app in the cloud so that you can run it from other devices.
Share the app so that other people can run it.

Reference: Create an app from scratch

Regards

Vkevin

Hi Michael_Sharo

Maybe add the ingredient in the same column to LunchType like that : Dagobert - cheese, ham, mayonnaise, tomato, salad

And you would have a horizontal scroll bar in the bottom of the dropdown if its possible ? or something else better i don't know...

Surprise me 🙂

Thanks

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Vkevin,

Let's try this.

Add another column under lunch type table under Excel, which contains the ingredient of the corresponding lunch type.

28.PNG

Then under the Lunch form in third screen (The update screen), just as insert the dropdown box, insert another Text Box (not Text ) below the Dropdown Control, and change the Text function of this Text Box from "Text" to:

LookUp(Table1_1,LunchType=Dropdown4.Selected.Value,ingredients)

See the results:

27.PNG

I think have the scroll bar within the dropdown might be a little diffcult to check under mobile devices, please take a try with the Text Box, which I consider should be a better choice.

And for the Comments, as mentioned, add the column in Lunch Management, it will generate the comments Text INput box automatically, you may customize the posization by drag the comments form.

If you need any further assistance, please post back.

Regards 

Vkevin

Hi Michael_Shao,

i add the column, add the Text Box, i change the text function : LookUp(Tableau1_2,LunchType=Dropdown4.Selected.Value,ingredient)

but it doesn't work (i adapted the command, but i don't know what is dropdown4 ?

error.png

And can you tell me how you change the date format ? i got a simply textbox, on your image you got date, time,etc...

Best regards

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Vkevin,

My bad.

Dropdown4 refers to LunchName in my previous posts. It refers to the Lunch dropdown control.

The date format is auto-generated by PowerApp, I just format the Date column in Excel as Date.

Check to see if it would work this time.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,437)