cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nils_PowerApps
Frequent Visitor

Proper syntax - problems getting started

Good day,

I am trying to build a rather simple app. All it is supposed to do is to connect to a SQL-database, get the current list of items to manufacture and display those on an iPad. Thats all its supposed to do, for now.

Usually when I get started with a new programming language there is proper documentation availble. I read into it, get the idea of how to work with the tool and all is well. With PA however I can´t find such documents. Only help I am aware of is this reference page, but it doesn´t really help to get started.

So my main issue right now lays in the fact that I am trying to build a hamburger menu. Simple enough, I´d think. I followed a tutorial by "Pragmatic Works" and well, I do get errors. His code looked like this: 

Table({id:0, MenuLabel:"Sample Item", screen: App.ActiveScreen})

This however already does not work, as PowerApps seems to not like the "," - I tried a ";" instead and it worked. Great, but what exactly am I telling the program? Neither the "," nor the ";" is documented anywhere. I am just flying blind rn, I am basically just guessing the outcome and it drives me crazy.

Currently I am stuck at a color-fade while hovering over a menu. The tutor suggested:

If(ThisItem.IsSelected, ColorFade(galMenu.Fill, 50%))

Of course the "," gave me plenty of errors again, so I replaced them with a ";", as this worked before, for whatever reason, but this time around it does not, color does not fade when I hover. If any of you has an idea on how to fix this, please be so kind and share your help with me.

Also if maybe anyone could point me to a proper tutorial, that is somewhat up-to-date, I´d be so grateful. This is really frustrating. I want to learn PA as it is powerful and a good idea, but I need some proper reference, some guidance on how to use the syntax etc. 

Any help to get this clueless guy started is very much appriciated!

Greetings

Nils

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@Nils_PowerApps 

It has to do with the language and disambiguation of "," as a decimal separator in numbers.  In some European languages ";" is used to replace "," that is used in English.  To indicate a true separation in functions, in English ";" is used but in European languages ";;" is used instead. 

For example in English, Collect(T,A); Navigate(S1,None) would translate to 

Collect(T; A);;Navigate(S1; None)

in German.  Other differences are in how dates are recorded in different countries.  

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/global-apps  for more details.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@Nils_PowerApps 

It has to do with the language and disambiguation of "," as a decimal separator in numbers.  In some European languages ";" is used to replace "," that is used in English.  To indicate a true separation in functions, in English ";" is used but in European languages ";;" is used instead. 

For example in English, Collect(T,A); Navigate(S1,None) would translate to 

Collect(T; A);;Navigate(S1; None)

in German.  Other differences are in how dates are recorded in different countries.  

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/global-apps  for more details.

Nils_PowerApps
Frequent Visitor

@Drrickryp 

Thank you very much, that solves/explains that error, as I am indeed german, and so these errors were likely caused by my computers language settings. Oh boy.

Would you happen to be able to point me towards a well-structured beginner tutorial? I did the introduction by Mircrosoft themselfes, but that wasn´t really anything, tbh

Greetings  

@Nils_PowerApps 

I have found @Shanescows  (Shane Young)'s Youtube videos to be the best place to find out the basics and intricacies of PowerApps.  He produces a new one every week and I almost always learn something.  In general, I learned best by starting with the PowerApps templates and examining how they worked by myself but I have been building databases for my practice with MS Access since 2003.   If i run into a problem, a web search usually finds the answer.  Woodie Allen famously bragged that he was the World's Greatest Lover, self taught!

freshly dead.gif

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,157)