cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Protecting Data Produced, and Locking in a OneDrive-connected app

I've been enjoying learning PowerApps and finding them amazingly versatile. One thing surprises me though - the app running with the priveleges of the running user, and no way to make it run with the privileges of the owner. This has 2 serious challenges in an Enterprise app for me:

- the users who use the app, also have write access to the OneDrive files the apps write to

- if someone opens one of the files linked to the PowerApp, it locks the file and the apps doesn't work properly

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to take measures to deal with these? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Protecting Data Produced, and Locking in a OneDrive-connected app

In that case it's a Datasource issue not Powerapps. I don't think you can do that in Excel. Consider SharePoint list.

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

On your first point, if you don't want any user or group of users not to write to the Excel, you can disable the save or patch button when ever that user logs in.

Example on the displaymode of the button;

If(User().Email="avb@gg.com, DisplayMode.Disabled, DisplayMode.Edit)

On the second point, you may have to consider another Datasource like SharePoint, CDs, SQL as excel has the limitation of closing before Data could be updated

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@eka24 thanks - sorry I need to be clearer on the first point. I DO want them to be able to use the App to write data to the Excel file. But I don't want them to be able to open and edit the Excel file itself - that's the point of the App - to write to the Excel file in a controlled manner.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Thanks for the clarification. But the use the same principles. Are you using a Form?

Use the procedure on the save of patch button:

If(User().Email="avb@gg.com&&

EditForm1.Mode=FormMode.Edit, DisplayMode.Disabled, DisplayMode.Edit)

------------

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@eka24 Nope, still not clear. Let’s say the app is writing to a file abc.xlsx - how do I stop the user of the app opening up the abc.xlsx file and doing whatever they 

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

In that case it's a Datasource issue not Powerapps. I don't think you can do that in Excel. Consider SharePoint list.

------------

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,271)