cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ganeshsanap
Super User
Super User

Push notification not redirecting user to different screen when app is already opened in background

Current configuration:

I am sending a push notification from Power Automate to open the canvas app. It is working fine when the app is not opened in the background.

Also, it is redirecting me to the correct screen as I have written code in OnStart property of App to navigate to another screen based on the parameter passed via push notification.

Issue:

If the app is already open in background or it is in-focus, the app screen is not getting refreshed as well as not redirecting to the different screen as configured.

I am suspecting that when the app is already opened, push notification is not triggering OnStart again & it is continuing the already opened session.

Is there any way to solve this issue (maybe writing code somewhere else instead of OnStart of App)? Or can we start a new session of the app on click of push notification?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ganeshsanap
Super User
Super User

I have opened a support ticket with Microsoft for this issue & they told me, this is the current behavior of push notifications. It just supports opening the app on click of push notification & starts the existing session.

They also suggested to create a new idea for this feature request. Below is a link to the idea I posted on this forum. Anyone reading this post, please vote & support this idea:

Start new session of app on click of push notification or provide trigger/function to identify when ... 

Please click Accept as solution & ‌‌👍 if my answer helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. If the answer was useful in other ways, please consider giving it ‌‌👍

Best Regards,

Ganesh Sanap

Blog site 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
priyeshwagh777
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hi Ganesh,

Not sure if this might be able to help you, but I tried something with Timer control. Maybe you can try to put a Timer and put about 10ms of delay or so.

Let me know if this helps you - https://d365demystified.com/2021/05/15/navigate-screen-automatically-based-on-timer-in-canvas-power-...

Let me know if this helps you in anyway!!

@priyeshwagh777 

I tried this using timer control but it is not working as expected. I need to open the particular screen in the app on click ok push notification. But it will not work when app is already running in background.

Please click Accept as solution & ‌‌👍 if my answer helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. If the answer was useful in other ways, please consider giving it ‌‌👍

Best Regards,

Ganesh Sanap

Blog site 

ganeshsanap
Super User
Super User

I have opened a support ticket with Microsoft for this issue & they told me, this is the current behavior of push notifications. It just supports opening the app on click of push notification & starts the existing session.

They also suggested to create a new idea for this feature request. Below is a link to the idea I posted on this forum. Anyone reading this post, please vote & support this idea:

Start new session of app on click of push notification or provide trigger/function to identify when ... 

Best Regards,

Ganesh Sanap

Blog site 

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (865)