cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thetakerfan
Frequent Visitor

Query PowerBI dataset within canvas app? (PowerBI.ExecuteDatasetQuery)

I'm trying to get data from a PowerBI dataset in to a PowerApp collection without requiring any premium connectors.

I initially tried creating a flow to return the data using the "Run a query against a dataset" action but that powerapp action to return the result only allows for a text string rather than a json/table/anything that maps to a collection. I was able to use the "Response" action and it works, but we don't have general premium licensing for end users.

I noticed there was a PowerBI connector within PowerApp which seemed ot have the same function available so I gave that a shot, but it doesn't return any data. If I hover the formula bar, it states "This formula has side effects and cannot be evaluated". The arguments seem correct, if I change the DAX query to Portfolios for example, it does fail stating the table is not found so it is connected to the dataset to some extent.

Has anyone used this connector/function successfully? I can't find much documentation on this other than the fact that it exists.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/powerbi/#run-a-query-against-a-dataset

thetakerfan_0-1654691250085.png

Result:

I get a collection with a table, but the table is empty. If I add .firstTableRows to the collection formula, its also empty.

thetakerfan_0-1654691644266.png

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,182)