cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Question - Patch - Is it possible to patch a record variable or context?

Hi,

I have a simple app divded into 2 screens. One screen is a gallery with many items. Onclick, I transfert ThisItem over tot he next screen. So far everything is working flawless. 

Now the problem I have is that at somepoint, I need to be able to patch ThisItem when inputs or dropdowns are changed. This allows me to keep my background data and interface in sync so that on save I can easily grab ThisItem and update my Sharepoint list. 

However, Patch does not seem to work on variables or Context (Set() or UpdateContext()). So mmy solution was to create a collection and on the default of the input I do something like First(Collection). In thoery this would work but seems clunky and messy.

I could also do UpdateContext directly but since it comes from Sharepoint, it adds a bunch of hidden columns that becomes impossible to work with in a clean fashion. 

Im wondering if anyone knows of a better way to update a Context via Patch() somehow? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Re: Question - Patch - Is it possible to patch a record variable or context?

@RandyHayes really nice approach I must say

@Owizardo

Another solution is not to use a variable but a collection to store your ThisItem, so like

ClearCollect(_ThisItemTemp, ThisItem)

You can easily patch this collection and right it back to the SharePoint I would think.

Hope this helps to,

Paul

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

This may not completely address your situation, but it sparked my response because I do see this often...

What gets missed sometimes is that Patch actually *returns* the results. (think about that for a moment).

Example: let's say you store ThisItem in a variable - Set(myItem, ThisItem)

So, doing a:

Patch(myItem, {someField:someValue})

will do very little for you.  What you really want is:

Set(myItem, Patch(myItem{someField:someValue}))

This will update the variable myItem with the changes you want.

Of course, this is ONLY for the local variable/copy of that information.  If you want to push that back to the data source, you will eventually need to do a Patch(dataSource, recordToChange, myItem)

Hope this gives you some help.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@RandyHayes really nice approach I must say

@Owizardo

Another solution is not to use a variable but a collection to store your ThisItem, so like

ClearCollect(_ThisItemTemp, ThisItem)

You can easily patch this collection and right it back to the SharePoint I would think.

Hope this helps to,

Paul

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,285)