Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

RULES: What are YOU doing with them?

Hello,

I'm looking for innovative ways that people are using Rules in PowerApps. I've not tried them yet and don't see too many examples of their usage online. Ryan Cunningham's example here is pretty neat. I've always used an IF statement to control things like this. Eager to see what you're doing with them!

Please post some examples!

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: RULES: What are YOU doing with them?

Hi @seadude,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

The Rules in canvas app is used to modify an app based on some the criteria that you specify. You could use the Rules to do some rendering in Controls, re-order controls, do some Data Validation, etc.

If you want to get more details about the usage of the Rules in PowerApps Canvas app, please check the following article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOzvZI6tmzQ

Currently, the Rules functionality still is a experimental feature, and you'll continue to see iteration and improvement over the coming releases in all of these areas. There still have some limitations in this feature, e.g. could not do some behaviour operator -- Send an email.

If you would like some other features supported by the Rules functionality, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @seadude,

Interesting question, indeed... On my side, I ended up not using rules at all because since they can't be used to update behavioral properties that would mean I'd have a mix of rules AND functions in my applications... which, I must say, I'm not fond of.

So I only use formulas to make sure I don't have to search for anything in rules when something is going wrong... 🙂

I mus say: I'm eager to know what others do in general...

Emmanuel

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @seadude thanks for posting this! We're always looking for new ways to promote user interaction and this a great idea. Looking forward to seeing what the PowerApps Community has to say! 

@TopShelf-MSFT

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Of course @Audrie-MSFT has a video on "The Value of Rules"!

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,230)