cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reducing fields pulled by Gallery

I have a SharePoint list with about 40 fields in it and 12 of them are Lookup fields.

I placed a gallery on the page and immediately get an error. My SharePoint list has exceeded the number of allowable (12) Lookup items.

For this gallery I only need 2-3 of the lookup fields. I solved this in Power Automate by adding a view with just the fields I need in SharePoint. In PowerApps, I can't see any way to add a view to a data-source. Is there another way to filter out just just the fields I need in the gallery? It seems that would be much more efficient also since I don't need the entire list just 5 rows.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @Anonymous 

When Power Apps connects to a SharePoint list it pulls all the columns. There is no conecpt of views here.

The only option you have is to reduce the number of lookup columns to max 12.

Plz note: Lookup columns include Lookup fields, People picker fields and managed metadata columns (all combined should not exceed 12). This also includes the system columns Created By and Modified By.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks,
Reza Dorrani, MVP
YouTube
Twitter

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @Anonymous 

When Power Apps connects to a SharePoint list it pulls all the columns. There is no conecpt of views here.

The only option you have is to reduce the number of lookup columns to max 12.

Plz note: Lookup columns include Lookup fields, People picker fields and managed metadata columns (all combined should not exceed 12). This also includes the system columns Created By and Modified By.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks,
Reza Dorrani, MVP
YouTube
Twitter

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear 4 of the lookup fields are tied up with Modified, modified by etc. so in reality, I need to limit my lookup list items to 8. That's Lame but it is what it is... Thanks for the answer.

-Greg

@Anonymous 

That is one of the main reasons why SharePoint is not a great data source from a relationship database standpoint.

CDS and SQL are relational databases but SharePoint is not.

It has a lot of limitations - lookup threshold, 5000 item view limits, indexing limitations etc.

Thanks,
Reza Dorrani, MVP
YouTube
Twitter

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just confirmed the magic max number of lookup fields is 8. I reduced my 12 down to 8 and all of the errors went away.

Just sharing this knowledge with everyone else.

-Greg

Hi @Anonymous 

It is 12 max including the created by and modified by cols.

And it is not just lookup but person type and managed metadata cols are also included.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/manage-large-lists-and-libraries-in-sharepoint-b8588dae-9387-48c2-9248-c24122f07c59

Last line of this documentation from MSFT

Thanks,
Reza Dorrani, MVP
YouTube
Twitter

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (49,745)