cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimmydebie
Regular Visitor

Reference a column value from variable to show/hide button "Invalid argument type"

I created a powerapps with a data connection to a SP list.

As the list contains many columns, I have multiple screens, each showing a part of the list in a form.

I'm saving the form to SP on each screen but a “draft mode” status can be added (Column in SP list called FormStatus choice between Draft, Submitted, default = Draft), so that although it has been created in SharePoint, with it being in draft, this indicates that it’s not finished and not officially submitted yet.

Each screen= varListItem -> stores the whole record of the current item

On the last screen, I want to be able to Submit the form. I have 3 buttons, visibility depends on the FormStatus value.

Tryin to achieve this via: 

Visible: varListItem.'FormStatus'="Draft"

Keep getting the red circle/white cross "Invalid argument type".

Can someone help with syntax here?

Thanks in advance!

Jimmy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@jimmydebie 

What kind of column is FormStatus?  If it is a choice column, then you need to use the following for your formula:

varListItem.FormStatus.Value="Draft"

I hope this is helpful for you. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@jimmydebie 

What kind of column is FormStatus?  If it is a choice column, then you need to use the following for your formula:

varListItem.FormStatus.Value="Draft"

I hope this is helpful for you. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

HarjitSamra
Advocate I
Advocate I

As visible is a Property you'd need:

Visible: If(varListItem.'FormStatus'="Draft", false, true)

(or vice versa)

@HarjitSamra 

Just and FYI on your formula, you can save yourself some time by not adding all the "If" "true" false" stuff.

When you put a condition such as something=something in your formula, it will already evaluate to true or false, so there is no need to put in an if statement to see if something is true so that you can then return true...it is already true (or false).

Just be aware of parenthesis are sometimes needed.  For example, if you wanted the ! (not) condition of the above, then using !something=something will usually give you an error because PowerApps is trying to "not" the first something...which is usually not valid.  So, your formula would become !(something=something)

This way PowerApps then is forced into the order of precedence that you want.

Hey @RandyHayes , thanks for the tip - I didn't know that.

Personally I would spend the few seconds typing the If statement so as to help the 'Future me' - when I come back to the code and try to understand it in a few months 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,170)