Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yahya
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Referring to a Control via a formula?

Is this possible in PowerApps? 

For instance I have 2 screens, (named ScreenA and ScreenB) want to have same button in both screens, to navigate, is this possible?

On Select: Navigate (ScreenVAR,fade,done)

while onload for ScreenA has: Set (ScreenVAR, "ScreenA")

and onload for ScreenB has: Set (ScreenVAR, "ScreenB")

14 REPLIES 14
Eickhel
MVP

Hey, 

As far as I know, every screen has their own set of controls so an easy way could be just copying the button to each screen and then change their OnSelect or go your way:

ScreenA - OnVisible: Set(ScreenVAR, "ScreenB")

-- ButtonA: OnSelect: Navigate (ScreenVAR,fade,done)

ScreenB - OnVisible: Set(ScreenVAR, "ScreenA")

-- ButtonB: OnSelect: Navigate (ScreenVAR,fade,done)

Is this what you wanted to accomplish?

Hi @Eickhel, agreed they are 2 different buttons but i meant they have the same formula. 

The below does not seam to work because of the topic of this discussion: Referring to a control via a formula? is this possible?

If you look at my PowerApp screenshot, at the left, the side menu used to be buttons, but imagine buttons for +40 screens. I developed the menu eventually via a Gallery, and i was sucessful automate the formula to take me to the right screen via gallry on select.

this is a the on select formula for the menu gallery 

If(ThisItem.ecds_screenname="ScreenHome",Navigate(ScreenHome,ScreenTransition.Fade),If(ThisItem.ecds_screenname="ScreenProject",Navigate(ScreenProject,ScreenTransition.Fade),If(ThisItem.ecds_screenname="ScreenProjectDetails",Navigate(ScreenProjectDetails,ScreenTransition.Fade))))

As you see, it is manually done, and this covers 3 screens only. I know I can use excel Concatenate to buld the formula for all screens, but i was thiking use a column in the gallery so my formula would be then super easy:

ScreenHomeOn Visible: Set(CurrentScreen,"Home")

ScreenProject On Visible: Set(CurrentScreen,"Project")

etc.

Menu Gallery OnSelect: Navigate(CurrentScreen, Fade, none)

The issue is that OnSelect is not dealing with the variable CurrentScreen as ScreenName. I used Text(CurrentScreen), same.

I think this would work if a control has a Name property then a variable can be assigned. i will be happy if there is another way.

Hi @Eickhel, Thanks.

The problem is that in the proposed formula of 

Switch( ThisItem.Random,
"Screen1",Navigate(Screen1, Fade),
"Screen2",Navigate(Screen2, Fade),
"Screen3",Navigate(Screen3, Fade),
"Screen4",Navigate(Screen4, Fade)
)

I have to call ScreenName for each option. And my objective is to calling screenname via a formula, so i dont make the furmula very long.

But it does not seams to be working

True but what about the another proposed solution?

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Navigate-to-screen-selecting-element-from-the...

It uses a collection of screens.

This might be the start to finda way, thanks for sharing! and thanks for being there..

link solution says

If you are using a dropdown or listbox control for the screen selection, please do the following:

Dropdown1.Items = [Screen1, Screen2, Screen3]

Dropdown1.OnChange = Navigate(Dropdown1.Selected.Value, Fade)

I tried the easy scenario for testing: 

the seconf line of the code gives an error: "The function 'Navigate' has some invalid arguments"

OK, I think I got a way. First I created a collection with all the screens of this test app (keep in mind the @):

ClearCollect(Screens,[[@FormScreen1],[@Screen1]])

Then I created a button with this code in the OnSelect:

Navigate(Last(Screens).Value, ScreenTransition.None)

It's working.

You need to change the logic for when or where to navigate... but I think this might work for you.

Hi again my friend @Eickhel. not seams to be working 😞

if you are sure can you package for me the test app?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,185)