cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Refresh Gallery in Screen Through A Button In Component

Hi. I am new to powerapps, and am still understanding the connection between component and screen. Read some websites and watched a couple of youtube videos to get better understanding, yet I am still stuck with my current problem.

So I and my team, we are building an application using powerapps. What we are trying to achieve is to let user refreshes the data in the gallery by clicking or selecting a refresh button. The button is in the component. And our table (data) coming from Dynamics 365.

Here is what the screen looks like,

arnoldaad_0-1599460028310.png

We would like to let the user refreshes the data in the gallery by clicking the refresh button. So far we have no luck. What we have already done is something like the following.

1. We created a component named SubheaderList that looks like below, with the customer property as displayed below.

arnoldaad_1-1599460138571.png

arnoldaad_2-1599460223147.png

2. In the IconRefresh (still in the component), we input the following to the OnSelect

arnoldaad_3-1599460368680.png

3. Then, we moved to the screens. In the corresponding screen, we selected the table that is used to display the data in the gallery, in the component properties (in the screen)

arnoldaad_4-1599461539057.png

When we played the screen, we got the following error : Only managed connections can be refreshed. We tried to move the button to the the screen directly (removed it from the component and insert the button directly to the screen). The new button OnSelect property, we input Refresh(TABLE). And it worked just fine. When user selects the button, the data is refreshed.

Please advise where did we go wrong with the component approach. Big thanks in advance.

Arnold-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @arnoldaad :

After a night of thinking, I perfected this solution.Here is my test for your refrence:

In the compontent

1\Add a Custom Output property -Refresh

2\Set the button 's items property to

Set(var,!var) /*var is my custom variable in this component*/

3\Set the Refresh property to

Refresh

In the App

1\Add a Toggle control in any screen(I have tried that no matter which screen it is placed on, the function can be triggered successfully)

ComponentName1.Refresh=ComponentName2.Refresh /*As long as the output of Refresh of one of the two components changes, the value will change*/

If you have more components, you need to reconsider the calculation logic.

OnChange

Refresh(YourDataSource1);
Refresh(YourDataSource2);

Refresh all data sources, so you only need a toggle

Visible

false /*Let this control unvisible*/

85.gif

Best Regards,

Bof

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arnoldaad :

Firstly,let me explan why the Refresh function do not work in the Component.

The point is the scope of a component is limited to itself.In other word,it is not available to refresh your data source by component.I think this link will help you a lot:

Scope

Secondly,I have two alternatives:

Solution1:Create a button outside the component and set it's Items property to:

Refresh(TABLE)

Solution2:Use component's OutPut to influence external controls, and then use external controls to complete Refresh. (I do not recommend this method)

Please refer to the following link for the specific solution:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Question-PowerApps-Components-How-to-Refresh...

Best Regards,

Bof

Highlighted

Hi, @v-bofeng-msft ! Thanks for the answer. Will take a look at your link and try to get the best solution.

The reason why we are thinking to put the refresh in the component, because the refresh icon is displayed almost in every screen, as requested by our user. Therefore, we are thinking rather than putting the icon in the screen directly, why not we put the icon in the component.

Thanks again for your feedback. We will try to implement your suggestion and will let you know whatever the results are.

Regards,

Arnold

Highlighted

Hi @arnoldaad :

After a night of thinking, I perfected this solution.Here is my test for your refrence:

In the compontent

1\Add a Custom Output property -Refresh

2\Set the button 's items property to

Set(var,!var) /*var is my custom variable in this component*/

3\Set the Refresh property to

Refresh

In the App

1\Add a Toggle control in any screen(I have tried that no matter which screen it is placed on, the function can be triggered successfully)

ComponentName1.Refresh=ComponentName2.Refresh /*As long as the output of Refresh of one of the two components changes, the value will change*/

If you have more components, you need to reconsider the calculation logic.

OnChange

Refresh(YourDataSource1);
Refresh(YourDataSource2);

Refresh all data sources, so you only need a toggle

Visible

false /*Let this control unvisible*/

85.gif

Best Regards,

Bof

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,779)