Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimboSey
Helper III
Helper III

Refresh browser/App onstart

Hi,

Got a frustrating issue that when I publish an update to the App, some users get an older version, when they refresh brower is pull through the latest version.

Anyone had this issue and know a quick solution? For example is there something to put in the OnStart so that it would refresh browser/app?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @JimboSey ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @JimboSey ,

You could put the current version number in a reference list and then have the number hard-coded at app OnStart -  do a LookUp and if the numbers don't match, put up a message for them to exit and refresh until they do match.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

I agree with @WarrenBelz, and I do this for all of my Apps - it's also nice to have a condition where if the lookup = "Under Maintenance" then take the user to an under maintenance screen/message so that they don't interact with data - its really useful when you need to do backend data work but can't have users playing with data while you do

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Could you break this down a little for a PowerApps novice please?

If any help, my data scources are mainly SP lists. 

How would I hardcode in the onStart?

And, the list reference just be a single line text column in an SP list?

Thanks again

Hi @JimboSey ,

Have a reference list (they are very useful for many reasons)  with one record - I will call the field Version here.

App OnStart

If(
   First(ReferenceList).Version <> YourHardCodedVersion,
   Notify("Not current version - please exit and refresh", Error)
)

Hi,

I have tried this, so created a single line of text column in my SP list, the column name is 'VersionRef'. I've put a number 1 in the first row of this column.

My code on the OnStart is as you suggest as below but changed ReferenceList to the name of my list, changed .Version to .VersionRef and replaced YourHardCodeVersion just with the number 1 (so matches what in my SP list).

But it seems to show the error, regardless 

Any help appreciated, thanks.

If(
   First(ReferenceList).Version <> YourHardCodedVersion,
   Notify("Not current version - please exit and refresh", Error)
)

Hi @JimboSey ,

You really should make a separate list here and it certainly should work (it is the simplest of filters), however if you put First(YourListName).VersionRef on a label, do you see the number you are after and is your column numeric or Text ?

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @JimboSey ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

JimboSey
Helper III
Helper III

Yes thanks @WarrenBelz 

Thanks a lot for this, marked solved.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,368)