Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mr-dang
Level 10

Refresh() is ~30s delayed

I have an app where:

1. A user Refreshes the datasource on CDS, then updates a record in a datasource.
  2. If you view the data in the entity, the change is instant and confirmed.
  3. Another user on another device Refreshes the datasource to view changes.
  4. Although the change is confirmed in the entity, the other user does not detect the change for 34s--pretty consistently.

Is this delay in place on purpose? Since the timing is so consistent, it seems to be built in.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
5 REPLIES 5
hpkeong
Level 10

Re: Refresh() is ~30s delayed

Hi

Currently,I am using Excel DropBox, the changes for user in Device A can be Refreshed and viewed almost instantly in Device B.

(Either Android - Android, Android - iOS, Android - Win 10, vice verse).

Guess maybe CDS problem?

(I have not been using CDS for couple of weeks)

Just wonder of the difference...

hpkeong
mr-dang
Level 10

2017-04-01 (4).png

I ran a test where

• I had two user accounts logged into different browsers: Google Chrome regular and Google Chrome incognito.
  • I opened the app in both browsers.
  • You can increase and decrease the value of a record using the bottom buttons. 
  • The top button refreshes the datasource and sets at the affected record to a context variable, checkstatus.

The result is that changes to the affected record are not detected from one browser to the other until 34s have elapsed (changes within one browser are detected in that browser).

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
mr-dang
Level 10

To put this into perspective of why this is a huge problem:

If one user updates data and another user attempts to update the same one within 30s, then they will not have detected the previous changes.

In additional testing, the change may not be detected for minutes. So Refresh() is not always working correctly. The surefire way of detecting new changes is to reopen the app or reload the webpage.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
mr-dang
Level 10

Essentially, only one user can be on the app at any given time. There is no point to multiple instances or users because they can't receive the most up-to-date data. 

Is the delay by design or is it on schedule to be eliminated?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
mr-dang
Level 10

I don't know what you had changed, but it seems the 30s delay is less significant. 

I had stored a variable online into a CDS entity. When the variable was false, then users could post messages. When I turned the variable on, it activated moderation mode, so user messages would need to be confirmed before they were visible.

It was only possible for this variable to work if changes to the entity were immediately recognized between different computers. There has clearly been an improvement in CDS. It is nice to discover these things, but I feel the PA team could get more credit if these improvements were fully communicated.

Thank you.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,287)