cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chad1
Frequent Visitor

Refreshing SQL Server Schema in PowerApps

Hi There,

I see another similar post to this; however it never really went into much detail.  If I make changes to my Views or Tables in an Azure SQL Server, those changes don't seem to be reflected in PowerApps.  For example, if I add a new field or change a field name on the SQL Server side, those fields won't show up in PowerApps unless I close out and re-open.

What is the best way to go about updating the SCHEMA in Powerapps when I make changes to the SQL Server View or Table.  I continually make changes to the SQL Server side and it would be convenient if there was a fast way to update this.

Thanks,

Chad

30 REPLIES 30
LuukasP
Regular Visitor

I have same issue!!! I'am changing the data table in SQL, but nothing happens when refreshing the power app connection!!!!

@microsoft ?????!

Charles_John
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi,

Same issue here. Just after creating a new view in SQL Server doesn't show up as a valid object to connect to in PowerApps. If I close the app and reopen it, disconnect the datasource and reconnect, sometimes I'm lucky and it will be there relatively soon, other times it takes hours.

PowerApps could be such a game changer! Every year I revisit it and start to prototype a really exciting solution, then I run into ridiculous issues like this one that make it impossible to realistically and efficiently deploy solutions. I've only successfully launched and managed the most basic use cases where you probably shouldn't be building an app in the first place because of continual roadblocks like this one.

Hulliexx
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is really an annoying bug and VERY time consuming, to get the table updated. 

It seems to be completely random when changes are reflected. Restarting the gateway might force it, but not always.

Is anyone from Microsoft even reading this thread???

I have same problem. @microsoft urgent bug to fix.

Same problem for me! I renamed a column in one of my tables an tried to access it under the new name - no success.
Updating the connection in power apps to this table and also deleting and add the connection again did not solve the problem.
I also use a on-premise sql server but do not have any access to the data gateway cause it's managed by our company IT-department.
Any workaround or a fully functional solution is needed for this bug! 
@hfMicrosoft ?

The same thing seems to happen in MS Flow/Automate. The only solution I have found it wait 1-3 hours. Sometimes it happens faster. 

Hope to hear a solution soon. 

JJLay

An employee was encountering this issue. While the employee was at my desk, I started Power Apps and created a new project pointing to the same data source as she. My app saw the new field. When she refreshed her app, the new field appeared. This hints at being a Data Gateway issue. Perhaps when I created the new app, it forced the gateway to refresh the schema?

Same issue with updating the SQL tables also happened on me.

Trying the refresh on the connection, close and re-open, but it is still not updating the new tables I've created.

Any news or movement on this problem?

gglennon
Frequent Visitor

I also have been hindered by this issue.

I am looking to go down this route as I have a form that seems to be showing errors related to an old table schema .  Like others, I  tried a couple of the suggested resolutions:

•  Table refresh 😣
  • Removed table , saved Power App, publish and re-edit 😣
  • Haven't tried deleting the data connector and re-adding
  • Has anyone tried exporting the power app , deleting it in the chosen evironment then reimporting Power App
  • Is there a way to export the names of the tables and views that are associated with the SQL Server Connectors - so I don't forget to add them?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

PA Community Call

Power Apps Community Call

Next call is happening on April 21st at 8a PST.

MBAS Carousel

May the fourth be with you, join us online!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (61,169)