cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Release 3.20021.27: Component instances lose property definitions in Studio

As of release 3.20021.27 (yesterday), controls which are instances of a Component have lost several properties including X, Y, Height, Width, and any Fill or Color definitions when viewed in Studio. They all bunch to X=0, y=0, for example, despite individual X and Y settings still showing their correct values. The app plays in Player OK, however.

I can sort of cure this by selecting all controls on a given page, cutting them, and then pasting back (so CtrlA, CtrlX, CtrlV). They then show correctly in Edit mode in Studio, but lose their values again when I hit Preview (F5).

If I save the app in this state and publish it, all controls show correctly. So it seems the Studio application is failing to implement properties in Component instances - they are probably defaulting to the sample settings within the Components themselves, I guess.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Re: Release 3.20021.27: Component instances lose property definitions in Studio

Yes, @Eickhel, agreed! Got to the same conclusion after a day experimenting..

If, as is often recommended, you typically create a global variable in the OnStart event to define styling properties - say,

Set(
gStyles,
  {
    marginX: 50,
    headerY: 35,
    ctrlFill: RGBA(200,200,200,1) //etc etc
  }
)

and then use this to define properties in Component instances, they now fail, as of release 3.20021.27. Other non-Component controls are still ok.

Bizarrely, local variables created within the page's OnVisible event still work OK. So if your Component instance's X needs to be marginX, you can add this to its screen's OnVisible event

UpdateContext(
  {
    Styles: gStyles
  }
)

set your Component instance's X to Styles.marginX, and all is fine.

So, Microsoft, is this now a permanent feature, or are you going to restore the ability to use global variables with Components?? Do I start remaking apps, or wait for a fix?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

I'm having the exact same issue:

• The component is losing it's X value even though the formula's result is 210. 

2020-02-16_14-18-57.jpg

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Eickhel @JonathanGibbs 

I also had an issue with the components losing their X & Y properties while on mobile but received no response

Link To My Original Post:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Components-Display-In-Different-Positions-Wh...

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted

Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to something... I don't know if it's the same exact case as the others but if any properties of the component comes from a public variable ( Set ) it doesn't stay. If the property comes from a local variable ( UpdateContext ) or a Collection it works and the values stay after saving and opening again.

Hope it helps

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Yes, @Eickhel, agreed! Got to the same conclusion after a day experimenting..

If, as is often recommended, you typically create a global variable in the OnStart event to define styling properties - say,

Set(
gStyles,
  {
    marginX: 50,
    headerY: 35,
    ctrlFill: RGBA(200,200,200,1) //etc etc
  }
)

and then use this to define properties in Component instances, they now fail, as of release 3.20021.27. Other non-Component controls are still ok.

Bizarrely, local variables created within the page's OnVisible event still work OK. So if your Component instance's X needs to be marginX, you can add this to its screen's OnVisible event

UpdateContext(
  {
    Styles: gStyles
  }
)

set your Component instance's X to Styles.marginX, and all is fine.

So, Microsoft, is this now a permanent feature, or are you going to restore the ability to use global variables with Components?? Do I start remaking apps, or wait for a fix?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi @JonathanGibbs @Eickhel @mdevaney ,

A fix was rolled out earlier today if you can check that components are working for you now.

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

@Mr-Dang-MSFTYes, now OK again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,019)