cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ward_1984
Frequent Visitor

Renaming Sharepointlist colums

Hi,

I don'tknow if it is a sharepoint problem or powerapps.

But i had a sharepointlist where i had a Lookup column 'Technieker'. Now i changed the name to 'Technieker_1' for a test and created a new lookup column 'Technieker'(because i needed to change the reference table for the lookup table and i didn't want to lose the data in the original).

But after the test i changed the name back to Technieker, but in powerapps i now need to get 

Choices([@Interventies].'Technieker (Technieker_1)') instead of Choices([@Interventies].Technieker).

But after a internet search i came to a understanding that the connector remembers the original names of the columns.

My question is there a way to reset the connector and get powerapps take the new column names? I tried deleting the connector in powerapps and reenter it.

Or do i have to delete the sharepointlist and make it again?

Thanks at advance!

Kind regards,
Ward

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Ward_1984 

Renaming columns is a "visual" thing in SharePoint.  

When you create a column in SharePoint, it will retain that name from that point forward.  If you decide to Rename the column, SharePoint will still consider that column with the original name.  The new name you gave it will appear everywhere as it's a "visual" thing, but under the covers, it still has the original name.

If you ever are in doubt about a column name, go into your list settings and click on the column you want to know about.  When you are now on the column settings page, look at the URL in the browser. At the end of the URL you will find Field=xxxxx where xxxxx is the actual name of the column.

PowerApps uses this in a mixed way - some function can use the "renamed" name, other need the original name.  Just depends on the function.

However, you should ALWAYS refresh your datasource in the designer whenever you make any changes to your underlying datasource as well.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Ward_1984 

Renaming columns is a "visual" thing in SharePoint.  

When you create a column in SharePoint, it will retain that name from that point forward.  If you decide to Rename the column, SharePoint will still consider that column with the original name.  The new name you gave it will appear everywhere as it's a "visual" thing, but under the covers, it still has the original name.

If you ever are in doubt about a column name, go into your list settings and click on the column you want to know about.  When you are now on the column settings page, look at the URL in the browser. At the end of the URL you will find Field=xxxxx where xxxxx is the actual name of the column.

PowerApps uses this in a mixed way - some function can use the "renamed" name, other need the original name.  Just depends on the function.

However, you should ALWAYS refresh your datasource in the designer whenever you make any changes to your underlying datasource as well.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

View solution in original post

Ward_1984
Frequent Visitor

@RandyHayes 

This was very useful thanks alot.

BCBuizer
Frequent Visitor

Dear @Ward_1984 , @RandyHayes ,

Thanks for the explanation as I ran into the same issue today. The way I see it there are ways of working around this:

For a lookup column: just create a new column with the correct inside name.

For a data column: create a new column with the correct inside name and copy the data from the old to the new column.

In both cases don't forget to delete the old column and check your App for the right references.

Of course the above isn't necessary for things to work, but it greatly enhances the ability to maintain your App.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call? Check out the recording here!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (63,921)