cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wangl2
Frequent Visitor

Replacing Data Source - App Maintenance

Dear All,

My PowerApps App uses an Excel spreadsheet as the Data Source. The list contains row of users with different columns that we need to use the App to capture information.

Recently I received an updated staff list and need to replace the spreadsheet I have been using during the test. 

Now I was thinking to keep the file name exactly the same with exact same number of columns (same column headings too). The new list will just have more rows of users. Then I will delete old file, go to the PowerApps editing screen and browse to the new file. Would it break the App? What really worries me is that now each row of the existing spreadsheet has a PowerApps ID generated from the App automatically. By replacing it with a new list, it will not have that information. Is that a problem?

Thank you and I would like to hear from you guys experience before I break anything:)

Happy New Year 2020!

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Replacing Data Source - App Maintenance

Hi @wangl2 

The issue here is PowerApps has created a connection to the old excel file and even if you create a new file with same name, it will not be recognized as a new file. You need to add the connection again to make this work.

Once you remove the connection for old file, the app will start to break and you will be seeing the errors. If you are using edit forms, you can go in and change the datasource, once you select a different datasource from the dropdown in the right menu, it will ask you if you want to replace the datacards, allow the app to replace your datacards, so that they point to the correct column names as per the new excel sheet. If you had used any custom formula inside the app, you can update them to use the new excel sheet.

Note: When you add the new file, make sure that the columns are formatted as a table and it is not open in edit mode when you are trying to create the connection. To check if you are able to create the connection properly, you can check for the __PowerApps_id column in the new excel sheet and this will make the application work.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

wangl2
Frequent Visitor

Hi @yashag2255,

I kind of get what you mean. Here is what I will do:

1. Produce the new file, I am not going to use the same file name.

2. Have the new file formatted as the table, with exact same columns and column headings.

3. Go to PowerApps and refresh the Data Source to the new file. When asked, allow the App the replace all Data Cards.

4. I hope I can copy my App to do this so if it fails, at least I will have a backup. But I haven't seen this option in the PowerApps studio.

On another note, does it improve the performance if I save my data source as the csv file instead of xlsx?

Thanks!

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @wangl2 

Yes you can create a copy of the app in two ways:

1) Export the App as a .msapp file
Go to PowerApps Apps page, select the app and export it to download the .msapp file. You can use this file to import the app anytime later.

2) Save As Different App Name
Open the app in PowerApps Studio, select File, then Save As -> Give the new name and save it.

Regd: does it improve the performance if I save my data source as the csv file instead of xlsx?

There are a lot of factors that affects the performance, one is internet speed as well. As per my experience, I would suggest you to use Excel file because of the simpler and easier access.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,074)