cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RPA_Maker

Responding to user query interactively using SharePoint List (delayed response)

Hello, could somebody please advise if what I am trying to do is possible with Power Apps and SharePoint? Or some other way it could be done?

I want an interface on a page in our extranet where users can provide an ID number and an RPA bot picks this up, queries a remote system with the ID number, then returns key information to the user within the same page (interactively). I know it would be a lot easier to simply email them the query result but this would be much more user friendly and faster (in theory).

I have made a SharePoint list with all the required columns and a form in Power Apps with only the ID column visible. On submission this is emailed to the bot using Power Automate. I embedded this Power App into a SharePoint page and it works fine although this is quite slow.

Originally I tried Microsoft Forms but due to the way our AD is structured it is not suitable as the users would be outside of our organization and we don't want the Form to be public.

I notice that there are webhooks and web parts in SharePoint Online, would this be how I do it? I'm trying not to get too deep into web development as this would potentially be too expensive for the purpose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
RPA_Maker

Dead forum is it?

Hi@RPA_Maker,

Sorry for the late reply. Just back from vacation.

Based on the issue that you mentioned, do you want to make external users query information from the SharePoint?

Actually, there is no way to achieve this directly in Power Apps currently.

To catch everybody up, webhook is a pattern/practice that has been around for a few years now. 

It allows for us to develop applications that are event-driven. Rather than using the traditional polling mechanism, webhooks allow you to code a push concept where the application listens for events to occur and then does something.

Remote event receivers required wcf projects to be created and registration is not simple.

For more details, you could check the following blog for reference.

USING WEBHOOKS IN SHAREPOINT ONLINE (netwoven.com)

Developing process solutions with SharePoint Webhooks - YouTube

Hope it could help you.

Regards,

Qi

Best Regards,
Qi

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,474)