cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnjohn123
Super User
Super User

Responsive power apps vs non-responsive power apps. when you should use the later approach

In web development, when we build an application using asp.net core mvc which uses html & bootstrap the application will be responsive by nature (out of the box).. but seems in power apps, we can still build non-responsive apps,, so when we want to start a new power apps project, what are the reasons that will force us NOT to use responsive power apps? i mean should we always build responsive power apps?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
SBax
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

The only reason I can think of would be if the users only use a specific device type (e.g. a tablet)

That being said, I always build responsive apps regardless in case users want to be able to use a different device type

Sometimes I go as far as using containers, but in simple apps I just use parent.width/height or a fraction of (e.g. parent.width / 2)

johnjohn123
Super User
Super User

@SBax thanks for the reply.. i do not think as of 2022, we can control what devices the user use.. so we should always have our web app responsive.. so i am not sure why power apps have non-responsive way of doing things.. and which seems most of the examples on YouTube and online tutorials  use the non-responsive way ...you can watch a full training course which does not use any responsive horizontal or vertical containers!!

SBax
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I agree, and ever if users are using a specific device now, that might change in the future

Generally speaking, I would always build a responsive app, just to be safe

Containers are a relatively new feature, which is why there are so many courses out there that don't include them

Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

There are no reasons that force you to build in non-responsive. But building it responsive takes additional time and effort. Since the app will scale for a variety of devices its often acceptable to build it non-responsive.  But its never a requirement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,338)