cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Restrict Users on Sharepoint Allow on PowerApps

Is there a way to make lists not editable from Sharepoint, while still editable from PowerApps? I know I have to give users the ability to edit, and add new items to lists in Sharepoint Permissions in order for them to use a PowerApp that submits updates to a list.

But I am wondering if maybe there is a way to restrict users from being able to visit the sharepoint site at all, or be able to view a list at all.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could lock down my Sharepoint site some, while still allows the PowerApps to be able to update lists on the site?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Restrict Users on Sharepoint Allow on PowerApps

Hi Alerts_OM_USA,

When you refer to SharePoint are you talking about an on premise installation or a Cloud version (like O365 or SharePoint Online)?

Regards,

James.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Alerts_OM_USA,

No, this is not possible so far in PowerApps. If your users need to update the list from PowerApps, they must have the edit permission on this list. Otherwise he cannot edit the items from PowerApps.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

It is possible I've done it.
Create a new permission group in SharePoint, deselect everything, then just add the List permissions you want, anything else that gets set leave alone.
They only need permissions for the list, if you don't give them Site permissions then they are unable to navigate in a browser.
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I've tried this, but whenever you uncheck permissions like "View Pages" it deselects all the list permissions I need for PowerApps.

Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

@JamesMiThis is for Cloud Sharepoint. Office 365. I've found a work around by disabling some page features using a CSS file, but it's not ideal, and doesn't work perfectly

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

I know it's too old post but it might help some one. I've written a blog post about this, its related to the permission level on the SP site which will not allow the users to the list forms & site contents page

https://ashiqf.com/2020/01/19/restricting-power-apps-users-from-viewing-or-updating-the-sharepoint-l...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,095)