cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alerts_OM_USA
Advocate V
Advocate V

Restrict Users on Sharepoint Allow on PowerApps

Is there a way to make lists not editable from Sharepoint, while still editable from PowerApps? I know I have to give users the ability to edit, and add new items to lists in Sharepoint Permissions in order for them to use a PowerApp that submits updates to a list.

But I am wondering if maybe there is a way to restrict users from being able to visit the sharepoint site at all, or be able to view a list at all.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could lock down my Sharepoint site some, while still allows the PowerApps to be able to update lists on the site?

7 REPLIES 7
JamesMi
Regular Visitor

Hi Alerts_OM_USA,

When you refer to SharePoint are you talking about an on premise installation or a Cloud version (like O365 or SharePoint Online)?

Regards,

James.

v-monli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Alerts_OM_USA,

No, this is not possible so far in PowerApps. If your users need to update the list from PowerApps, they must have the edit permission on this list. Otherwise he cannot edit the items from PowerApps.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Delid4ve
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

It is possible I've done it.
Create a new permission group in SharePoint, deselect everything, then just add the List permissions you want, anything else that gets set leave alone.
They only need permissions for the list, if you don't give them Site permissions then they are unable to navigate in a browser.

I've tried this, but whenever you uncheck permissions like "View Pages" it deselects all the list permissions I need for PowerApps.

@JamesMiThis is for Cloud Sharepoint. Office 365. I've found a work around by disabling some page features using a CSS file, but it's not ideal, and doesn't work perfectly

I know it's too old post but it might help some one. I've written a blog post about this, its related to the permission level on the SP site which will not allow the users to the list forms & site contents page

https://ashiqf.com/2020/01/19/restricting-power-apps-users-from-viewing-or-updating-the-sharepoint-l...

Nihil1
Frequent Visitor

hi ashiqf 

I tired but it still allows users to view and edit  sharepoint list via browsing. 

Thanks
Nihil

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Carousel April Dunnam Updated 768x460.jpg

Urdu Hindi D365 Bootcamp

Dont miss our very own April Dunnam’s The Developer Guide to the Galaxy! Find out what the Power Platform has to offer for the traditional developer.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,441)