cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Restricting users to edit their data

Hello Everyone,

As I am new to power apps, I am trying to build an app where a manager can enter notes for his employees. So far, the app is working successfully. I am struck up with creating granular level permissions in the app. Please help me with the following scenario and how to proceed with restricting the managers to only see and edit their location data.

I have a table dbo.Manager_Information_Table

Division

Manger Name

Email

NJ

dan

d@gmail.com

NJ

jon

j@gmail.com

KY

dan

d@gmail.com

NJ

kim

k@gmail.com

KY

greg

g@gmail.com

TN

greg

g@gmail.com

TN

dan

d@gmail.com

I have another table, where respective mangers should enter notes for their employee who belongs to their locations and divisions

dbo. Employee_Timesheet_Table

Employeename

Division

TotalHoursworked

Notes by manager

E1

NJ

E2

KY

E3

TN

E4

NJ

E5

KY

E6

NJ

I am trying to create granular permissions to the mangers. So when they open the app they should be only able to see their employees who belong to their location.

For example: If Manager: dan opened the app he should be able to see data and edit notes only for his divisions and locations in the gallery as below

Employeename

Division

TotalHoursworked

Notes by manager

E1

NJ

E2

KY

E4

NJ

E5

KY

E6

NJ

I have seen several articles but could not find an appropriate solution. Please help me with this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Restricting users to edit their data

OnStart of the App Set a Variable:

If only filter Location
Set(varUserLocation,LookUp(Manager_Information_Table,Email=User().Email,Location));

Set(varUserDivison,LookUp(Manager_Information_Table,Email=User().Email,Division))

On the Gallery items Filter:
Filter(Employee_Timesheet_Table,Location=varUserLocation Or Division=varUserDivison)

Or
Filter(Employee_Timesheet_Table,varUserLocation in Location Or varUserDivison in Division)

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

OnStart of the App Set a Variable:

If only filter Location
Set(varUserLocation,LookUp(Manager_Information_Table,Email=User().Email,Location));

Set(varUserDivison,LookUp(Manager_Information_Table,Email=User().Email,Division))

On the Gallery items Filter:
Filter(Employee_Timesheet_Table,Location=varUserLocation Or Division=varUserDivison)

Or
Filter(Employee_Timesheet_Table,varUserLocation in Location Or varUserDivison in Division)

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Geethika_543 ,

I've found a similar issue here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/How-to-restrict-Data-for-particular-specific...

Was this posted by you too?

Please notice the reply there.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Robotic Process Automation

Let's talk about the solution provided by Microsoft for Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,603)