cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Retrieving Combo box DefaultSelectedItems from a SharePoint multiline text field

I have a SharePoint list named Projects, which in turn has a Listing (ID) and a Benefits column, the latter of which stores multiple lines of text. The DATA collection contains all data pertaining to the selected gallery item on a previous screen. In PowerApps itself, I have a label (lbl_Combo) and a Combo box (combo_Benefits). A button (btn_Save) stores the SelectedItems in the Benefits field:

Patch(
    Projects,
    First(
        Filter(
            Projects,
            Listing = DATA.Listing
        )
    ),
    {
        Benefits: Concat(combo_Benefits.SelectedItems, Value&Char(13))
    }
)

The Items that combo_Benefits has are:

[
    "A",
    "B",
    "C"
]

The SharePoint list stores the selected items just as I want it to. What's more, lbl_Display, whose Text field is set to

DATA.Benefits

also has no issues.

The issue arises when I want to retrieve the multiline text, split it back into separate entries, and connect those to DefaultSelectedItems. I attempted the following, to no avail:

Split(DATA.Benefits, Char(13))

Appending .Result to the above also provided no help.

How can I have the DefaultSelectedItems display the selected items I have stored in the Benefits column?

For example, Items "A" and "C" are selected and saved to SharePoint. Once combo_Benefits is Reset(), it should have "A" and "C" already selected.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Retrieving Combo box DefaultSelectedItems from a SharePoint multiline text field

Hi @JanikDriehaus ,

Could you please share a bit more about the DATA collection that you mentioned? Do you use it to store selected item from your Previous Gallery?

Further, do you want to display the saved options within combo_Benefits ComboBox?

Based on the formula that you mentioned, I think  there is something wrong with it. I have made a test on my side, please consider take a try with the following workaround:

Set the Items property of the combo_Benefits ComboBox to following:

[
    "A",
    "B",
    "C"
]

Set the DefaultSelectedItems property of the combo_Benefits ComboBox to following:

ForAll(
       Split(DATA.Benefits, Char(13)),
       {
         Value: Result
       }
)

Please consider take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Retrieving Combo box DefaultSelectedItems from a SharePoint multiline text field

Here's an approach that works for me:

I would set the Items property of combo_Benefits (a combobox) to 

TableColl

TableColl is a collection that is defined as below: 

ClearCollect(TableColl, "A", "B", "C")

The text property of a label lbl_Display is set to:

Concat(combo_Benefits.SelectedItems,Value & Char(13))

I then have another combobox for which I am setting the DefaultSelectedItems as: 

Filter(TableColl, Text(Value) in Split(lbl_Display.Text, Char(13)))

And this works fine. 

The reason Split(DATA.Benefits, Char(13)) this doesn't work is because the last item in this table is a blank value AND the records in this table are not records of your original table (they have the same text but they are not the same records). 

Let me know if this works for you. 

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution.

Thanks!
Hardit Bhatia
https://thepoweraddict.com

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JanikDriehaus ,

Could you please share a bit more about the DATA collection that you mentioned? Do you use it to store selected item from your Previous Gallery?

Further, do you want to display the saved options within combo_Benefits ComboBox?

Based on the formula that you mentioned, I think  there is something wrong with it. I have made a test on my side, please consider take a try with the following workaround:

Set the Items property of the combo_Benefits ComboBox to following:

[
    "A",
    "B",
    "C"
]

Set the DefaultSelectedItems property of the combo_Benefits ComboBox to following:

ForAll(
       Split(DATA.Benefits, Char(13)),
       {
         Value: Result
       }
)

Please consider take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,203)