cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Rules options is greyed out

Hello all, I am trying to set up rules on a control to set another field. While I found the option to enable rules in general, the option is greyed out for any control I select. 

What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@WhoRU87 

So, without knowing the ownership list and the columns you have in there, I will speculate that you have a "Subject" and an AssignedTo column in them.  For the purposes of a simplified response, I will speculate that both are Text columns.

In your Intake form, you could have your DropDown Items set the ownership list.

When you submit your form, you can derive the AssignedTo from the DropDown control.

If you have an AssignedTo column in your main data list, then you can add this to the form (set not visible if you don't want the users to interact with this column) and then set the Update property of the datacard for that field to be the DropdownSubject.Selected.AssignedTo value.

When your form submits, the AssignedTo column in your main list will have the value for the AssignedTo set based on the Subject selected in the dropdown.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Super User III
Super User III

Rules have been deprecated:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/canvas-rules-feature-deprecation/

However you can describe what you want to do for help using other functionalities.

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Super User III
Super User III

@WhoRU87 

The first thing is to abandon using Rules.  They have been deprecated and will eventually be removed.  Not so good to start a new app using a feature that is no longer supported.

However, beyond that, you can still use them.  Have you enabled the rules in the Advanced settings of the app? (you mention you found the option, just want to ensure it is in the advanced settings that you found it).

Also, check the other settings - some of the settings will disable the rules - for example "Enhanced Formula Bar".

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@WhoRU87 

Effective October 14, 2019, the rules feature in canvas apps in Power Apps is deprecated. Few people have made use of rules in their canvas apps.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/important-changes-coming#:~:text=Effective%20October....

If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

as @eka24 said, Rules have been deprecated.  You can turn them back on and use them but we would recommend against it.  Also, you mentioned that you wanted to use Rules on one control to set a value on another.  Even when rules were working they couldn't really be used to set a value on a different control.  They were normally more in place to do conditional formatting.

If you explain the specifics of what you are trying to accomplish we can help you figure out how to do it without using Rules.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks all, perhaps I need to better describe what I am trying to do...

In infopath, I had a system built to auto triage requests to a given associate based on the topic. So for example, if a request for our department involved Subject A that might route to me, but subject B to my peer. That list of who owns a given subject needed to change from time to time though, so I needed the business to be able to adjust without needing a redesign. So I build the intake list (form) and a 'subject ownership list'. When a client would fill out the intake, there was a rule set on the Subject selection drop down, and that rule would set the 'Assigned to' field to the person corresponding to that subject in the 'subject ownership list'. Bottom line, I need to do the same thing in PowerApps. I am agnostic to how I get there, but I need the system to assign work based on the subject of the intake, and for business to have the ability to adjust that triage without needing an app redesign. I hope that makes sense...I am over simplifying a bit. 

@WhoRU87 

So, without knowing the ownership list and the columns you have in there, I will speculate that you have a "Subject" and an AssignedTo column in them.  For the purposes of a simplified response, I will speculate that both are Text columns.

In your Intake form, you could have your DropDown Items set the ownership list.

When you submit your form, you can derive the AssignedTo from the DropDown control.

If you have an AssignedTo column in your main data list, then you can add this to the form (set not visible if you don't want the users to interact with this column) and then set the Update property of the datacard for that field to be the DropdownSubject.Selected.AssignedTo value.

When your form submits, the AssignedTo column in your main list will have the value for the AssignedTo set based on the Subject selected in the dropdown.

View solution in original post

Helper I
Helper I

I would reccomend getting comfortable with using the If logic. It is very similar to how it is used in excel and is pretty easy to understand once you start using it a bit. You can even nest the if statements to make them more useful and robust. The rules, which I used very little, were essentially a UI for using the if statement. If you have any specific rules you are tyring to figure out the logic for im sure everyone would be happy to help you figure out what the logic would be! This community is very helpful and kind so ask away!

If syntax: If( condidtion , what happens if that condition is true, what happnes if that condition is false)

Thanks Randy, that might work. Let me ask you, in infopath I was not able to create a 'set field value' rule to a people picker control. To help with this, I have logic that took the data from a people field, and populated a text control with the person's display name. Would I need to do something similar here? For awareness, there will also be a FLOW build off the app so that when it auto-traiges the intake the rep assigned would receive an email. 

@WhoRU87 

No, you can assign the Person to columns in PowerApps without the need for anything else.  

There is a structure to a Person record when assigning, but if you observe that, it works fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (90,199)