cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ez1138
Helper V
Helper V

SQL - Multiple Tablets, Confusing (To me)

Hi,

Using SQL Server, I'm most likely confusing myself.  I have a DB and a bunch of tables.  I would like to be able to add/update records.  I have replaced the text field with a dropdown for Company and a dropdown for Contact, attempting to pull from tables outside of my main "Projects" table.  The Projects table I'm basing it on does have a "Company" and "Contact" column.  I would like the dropdown selection in the edit screens to update the design/display screen and update the main SQL table in the process.  I can get the datacardvalues, I believe, to update from the Edit to the Design/Display screen, but I don't believe it's doing anything to update SQL.

Tables

• dbo.projects
    • Project Name, Project_ID, Company, Contact, City
  • dbo.company
    • Company Name, Company_ID, City, State, Zip Code
  • dbo.contacts
    • First Name, Last Name, Contact_ID, e-mail, phone, Company (ideally pulling from Company Table)

Again, because I'm confused and new to SQL server, what is the proper way to be able to 

8 REPLIES 8
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @ez1138 ,

Firstly, by you post, your concern is updating the SQL data source, so the two things needing attention are the Items property of the drop-down Control and the Update property of the DataCard that it is in. If you can give me these on all the controls you need to update the source as will as the Name of the controls, I will see if I can assist.

Hi Warren,

This is simply what I have in place.  I just changed the name of the text field on the edit and display screens.  I have not replaced the text fields to dropdowns, yet.

• Company
    • Display Screen
      • Default, ThisItem.Company 
      • Datacard value, DataCard_Display_Company
      • Display Field, DataCardValue_Display_Company
    • Edit Screen
      • Datacard value, DataCardValue_Display_Company.Text
      • Text Field, DataCardValue_Edit_Company
  • Contact
    • Display Screen
      • Default, ThisItem.'POC - Executive'
      • Datacard value, DataCard_Display_POC - Executive
      • Display Field, DataCardValue_Display_POC - Executive
    • Edit Screen
      • Datacard value, DataCardValue_Display_Company.Text
      • Text Field, DataCardValue_Edit_Company

Ok @ez1138 ,

When you do the drop-downs, can you please give the values request in the last post.

Hi, I just created a dropdown on the edit screen, pulling the "Company" table.  The same for Contacts.

• Company
    • '[dbo].[company]'.'Company Name'
    • Dropdown_Edit_Company
    • Update, DataCardValue_Display_Company.Text
  • Contact
    • '[dbo].[contacts]'.First_Name
    • Dropdown_Edit_POC-Executive
    • Update, DataCardValue_Display_POC-Executive.Text

It doesn't update the display screen as it still looks like it's pulling from SQL.

DataCardValue_Display_POC-Executive

Thanks @ez1138 ,

Dropdown_Edit_Company has the Items property '[dbo].[company]'.'Company Name'

The Update of the DataCard should be

Dropdown_Edit_Company.Selected.'Company Name'

Dropdown_Edit_POC-Executive has the Items property '[dbo].[contacts]'.First_Name

The Update of the DataCard should be

Dropdown_Edit_POC-Executive.Selected.First_Name

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Thanks.  I will give it a try.  Would this automatically update SQL as well?

@ez1138 ,

I hope so - that is the purpose of the Update. Please let me know. You also need to ensure that the DataSource of the DataCard is set to the field you need updated.

Hi @ez1138 ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,731)