cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhanley
Frequent Visitor

(SQL) SPEED ISSUES: Has there been a recent PowerApps update?

Hi,

Does anybody know whether there has been a recent update to PowerApps that may have affected end-user performance when connecting to SQL servers?

Our apps have been working fine, up until yesterday, where now they are very unresponsive and slow to populate where we are calling upon SQL data. We haven't made any changes to our SQL servers and the servers are operating fine as normal, so just want to rule out any potential issues on the PowerApps side?

Many thanks

Joe

6 REPLIES 6
v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jhanley ,

Do you mean that the app connected with Sql Server become slower?

I've made a similar test but not met the same problem like your description.

My app works as normal.

Recently, I haven't received any report about updating SQL server.

So I think that should not be updating's issue.

Maybe you need to consider improving your app.

Many reasons why lead the app working slowly.

Here's a doc about some tips of improving app performance:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/performance-tips

What's more, making your network in a good condition is also very important.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yutliu-msft ,

Thanks for confirming that there hasn't been any updates that may have pushed this out of sync.

It was interesting as users suddenly started to report that the app was significantly slower despite this working fine for a week or so after it's initial publish. We did implement a PDF viewer within the most recent version, so am wondering if this has caused issues as it is noted that this pulls through a large execution script which may be affecting our performance. We will look to update the app to exclude this feature to see if this helps.

Do you know if tables, queries and flows count as a 'data source', or does this refer specifically to the server that they are stored in? The article mentions to keep this below 30, but we have 62 connections into one server.

Many thanks for your help,

Kind regards

Joe

mogulman
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I suggest using the SQL Profiler to debug performance issues.

jhanley
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @mogulman, much appreciated. We will give this a look into, too.

Joe

Blaxy1

Hi,

I have exactly the same experience since yesterday with Azure SQL.
Additionally we have also latency issues with Flow, but not shure this is connected to this problem.

I have republised the app but it doesn't help.

Coud anybody from MS check this isse?

The App ID is: 0afe07b9-691a-4b08-8199-efd035a3a072

Thanks,

Zoltan

mogulman
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@jhanleyA couple of things:

1. I found this book Mastering SQL Server Profiler.  It is from 2009 and uses SQL Server 2008.  I did all my work with SQL Server Profiler (SSP) prior to finding book.   I looked it over and it seems that SSP hasn't changed.  I wish I would have found it prior to do the study.
  2. I spent about 2 weeks using it to optimize my first app.  I wanted to see how to use views and collections.  It took a while to figure out all the queries the SQL Server Connector (SSC) performs for an action.  It doesn't seem to remember the results so it performs all the same queries again when you perform the same action again.
  3. The way I used it was to setup app to perform an action like lookup details record.  Pause trace and clear trace.  Enable trace and perform action.  Pause trace and record results.  I used Excel.  I repeated this 3 times to see variation.  I did this when no one else was using app.  I performed this on about 20 actions.
  4. My app uses about 30 lookup tables and  4 main tables.  I gradually added collections/views and measured results.    
  5. It was a tedious process and requires patience

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,588)