cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sarchable DropDown

Hi!

I'm trying to make a simple app where employees can log information, which is then saved in an excel file.

However, i am struggling a bit with the forms the user has to fill out. I've succesfully added a Allowed Values drop-down menu which is based on data from one table and saves it to another. However, it would be handy if the user could seach the dropwdown menu. I've already tried the ComboBox, but it create a field seperate to the form that i've linked with my datasource and i can't seem to make it retrieve data from one table and save it to another.

Is there an easy way to make the existing drop-down menu searchable?

Best regards,

Mathias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

Could you please share a screenshot about your app's configuration?

Which data source does your Edit form connect to? The Excel table?

Further, do you custom a data card within your Edit form?

If you want to search the Dropdown menu within your app, I agree with your thought almost, I think the Combo Box control could achieve your needs.

On your side, you could consider take a try to convert the Dropdown control into a Combo Box control within your app. Please check and see the following GIF screenshot for more details (I assume your Edit form connects to your Excel table😞Test1.gif

Then set the Items property of the Combo Box control (ComboBox1) to following:

Distinct('20181119_case13',DepartmentName)

On your side, you should type:

Distinct('YourTable', ColumnName) /*<- ColumName represents the column value you want to display within the Combo Box*/

Set the Update property of the corresponding Data card which contains the Combo Box control to following:

ComboBox1.Selected.Result

Set the SelectMultiple property of the Combo Box control to following:

false

Set the Default property of the Combo Box control to following:

{
    Value:ThisItem.FiledColumn /* <-- FiledColumn represents the column in your Excel table the corresponding Data card related to */
}

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

Could you please share a screenshot about your app's configuration?

Which data source does your Edit form connect to? The Excel table?

Further, do you custom a data card within your Edit form?

If you want to search the Dropdown menu within your app, I agree with your thought almost, I think the Combo Box control could achieve your needs.

On your side, you could consider take a try to convert the Dropdown control into a Combo Box control within your app. Please check and see the following GIF screenshot for more details (I assume your Edit form connects to your Excel table😞Test1.gif

Then set the Items property of the Combo Box control (ComboBox1) to following:

Distinct('20181119_case13',DepartmentName)

On your side, you should type:

Distinct('YourTable', ColumnName) /*<- ColumName represents the column value you want to display within the Combo Box*/

Set the Update property of the corresponding Data card which contains the Combo Box control to following:

ComboBox1.Selected.Result

Set the SelectMultiple property of the Combo Box control to following:

false

Set the Default property of the Combo Box control to following:

{
    Value:ThisItem.FiledColumn /* <-- FiledColumn represents the column in your Excel table the corresponding Data card related to */
}

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for the fast and elaborate reponse - It worked perfectly.

This is my first time working in PowerApps and i've looked everywhere for a solution.

Thanks a lot, Kris!

Best Regards,

Mathias

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (3,267)