cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobbyNWG1992
Level: Powered On

Save Data to Separate SharePoint List that is NOT the SharePoint Data Source List

Hi,

I have a List that pull's in Data from an On Prem Source (1700 Items data limit set to 2000), this list is called "Project Data Capture" I have followed the guide below to create a very similar soloution.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/working-with-forms

I have also added more data entry Columns to the List "Project Data Capture" these fields are mostly date and choice fields based on environmental incidents associated with those contracts. The App allows a user to search in a gallery for a contract no (Browse Screen),  See the details of that contract no(Detail Screen), and finally create a new item (Submit Screen). All contract information fields are read only, however the environmental fields and date and choice fields are required to be entered by the user.

As "Project Data Capture" is a lookup list i would like to create a new item in a separate list, this list is called "Corporate Data Capture Data List" what is the best approach in achieving this? The "Corporate Data Capture" list is exactly the same copy of "Project Data Capture" other than the choice fields being single line of text to allow the data to be added in depending on what the user selects.

Any support on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

6 REPLIES 6
EricLott
Level 10

Re: Save Data to Separate SharePoint List that is NOT the SharePoint Data Source List

You can do this easily in Flow. See below. If your items has attachments, you'll need to copy those over as well. See my response here for that.

copyofitemexample.png

BobbyNWG1992

Re: Save Data to Separate SharePoint List that is NOT the SharePoint Data Source List

Hi EricLott 

thanks for your help. i have set the flow up, my last issue is Flow is modifying an existing item when i use On submit. I want to create a new item in the Project Data Set list. How do i do this?

Robert

EricLott
Level 10

@BobbyNWG1992 

Just add a new action. You can pick the "Update Item" action for SharePoint in Flow or use the "Create Item" action and point it to a new List.

BobbyNWG1992

Ericlott

apologies, what i meant was Powerapps is not creating a new item in the datasource 'project dataset' it is updating the current item with the 4 fields that the user needs to append. Until i can work out how to make sure a new item is created the flow will not run to move the new item into a seperate list.

Any ideas on why its modifying an existing item and not creating a new item?

appreciate your help with this.

Robert

EricLott
Level 10

I see.. Are you selecting an existing item and changing it, or are you creating a new item? On the button that is navigating you to the Submit form, you should either see the NewForm() function or the EditForm() function depending on whether it's a new item or editing an existing item.

BobbyNWG1992

screenshots attached

essentially a user searches for a contract number in a sharepoint list. Then a detail screen (not on a screenshot) simply is for confirmation they have the correct contract. Finally there are choice and date fields required to be filled in by the user before the item can be submitted. However only edit mode brings through the selected item, edit however just edits the existing selected item and does not create a new list item. There will be multiple items created against each contract.

new mode does not bring through the data from the selected item so the item just creates the new columns the user has filled in  in a new item in the list.

does this make sense?

Robert

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,214)