Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Save attachments in the offline module

Hello,
I create an application that aims to collect data on the progress of work at the construction site. In case I have Internet access, the application works well. However, there will be situations when the internet is unavailable and therefore trying to build an application that will work offline.
Currently, the application is able to collect text data and save it locally and when it gets access to the Internet, it will update individual tasks. The problem appears when I want attachments or photos.
Does anyone know if it is possible to save files in local memory during offline mode and later save to the main database?

Best regards
Łukasz

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Save attachments in the offline module

Hi @LukaszM ,

Do you want to save Images data into your local device when your device is offline?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think SaveData function and LoadData function in PowerApps could achieve your needs. Please check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/savedata-and-loaddata-unleashed/

On your side, you could consider add a "Add Picture" control to pick up pictures from your local device. Then use the following formula to collect the captured images into a Collection:

Collect(Pictures, UploadedImage1.Image)

please use the following formula to save the Pictures collection into your local device:

SaveData(Pictures, "Saved Pictures")

then use the following formula to load cached Pictures collection data into your app:

LoadData(Pictures, "Saved Pictures", true)

Please take a try with above solution, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Save attachments in the offline module

So basically, what i have found is that the attachment is very tricky to handle while offline.
To work around this issue, if the attachments are only going to be images, i provide the users with Camera Control and Image Upload Options. Then store the content string from both in the collection. When the Application is online again, use flow to add the data to SharePoint or CDS using Flow.

So, you would need to create a custom container (or screen) with the following:

1. Camera Control

2. Collection with Image Name and Data 

3. Gallery to display and modify these images.

And when the application live,
1. Create the record

2. Pass the record ID or GUID along with Image Collection to Flow.

Let me know if this help or you would like to see some screenshots.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,947)