Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VaidasG
Helper III
Helper III

Save collection to SharePoint list as a single row

Hi All,

Would there be an option to patch a collection column values to a SharePoint list as a single row, instead of individual rows per collection row. Let's say I have collection with 10 records and my SharePoint list contain 10 columns.

I'm thinking of something where I could refer to specific collection record culumn1: item[1], column2: item[2] and so on.

Thanks in advance for you support

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@VaidasG 
No.  Instead you should be making another SharePoint list with the data and then joining the two tables by building a  relationship.

Article - Power Apps & SharePoint List Relationships
https://matthewdevaney.com/power-apps-sharepoint-list-relationships/

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@VaidasG 

In addition to @mdevaney 's response (which is a better practice to observe), you can do this type of thing in PowerApps, but it is VERY specific to that exact statement you made..."10 columns" and 10 records.

i.e.

Patch(yourDataSource, yourRecord,

{column1: First(yourCollection).Value,
    column2: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 2).Value,
    column3: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 3).Value,
    column4: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 4).Value,
    column5: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 5).Value,
    column6: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 6).Value,
    column7: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 7).Value,
    column8: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 8).Value,
    column9: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 9).Value,
    column10: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 10).Value
   }
)

As you can see...this is very specific to the 10 to 10 

It's not ideal, but it can be done in PowerApps.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@VaidasG 
No.  Instead you should be making another SharePoint list with the data and then joining the two tables by building a  relationship.

Article - Power Apps & SharePoint List Relationships
https://matthewdevaney.com/power-apps-sharepoint-list-relationships/

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@VaidasG 

In addition to @mdevaney 's response (which is a better practice to observe), you can do this type of thing in PowerApps, but it is VERY specific to that exact statement you made..."10 columns" and 10 records.

i.e.

Patch(yourDataSource, yourRecord,

{column1: First(yourCollection).Value,
    column2: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 2).Value,
    column3: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 3).Value,
    column4: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 4).Value,
    column5: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 5).Value,
    column6: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 6).Value,
    column7: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 7).Value,
    column8: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 8).Value,
    column9: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 9).Value,
    column10: Last(FirstN(yourCollection, 10).Value
   }
)

As you can see...this is very specific to the 10 to 10 

It's not ideal, but it can be done in PowerApps.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

@VaidasG 

Highly encourage to take the SharePoint relationships approach instead.  Trying to put table data like this in a multi-line text column will lead to two major pain points:  1.  The pain of coding it in your app and 2. the pain of using it in your reporting later.

---

VaidasG
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks for your replay @mdevaney 

Your approach is very useful and I will definitely imbed it in my future challenges.

However for this one I worked out very manual solution.

I realize that here I have multiple loopUp's that might affect performance, but for now it does the work 🙂

Patch(SP_List, Defaults(SP_List), {
Col1: Dropdown.Selected.Value, Col2: DatePicker1.SelectedDate, Col3: TextInput_Name.Text,
Col4: LookUp(Collection, ID = 1).Item_Value,
Col5: LookUp(Collection, ID = 2).Item_Value,
Col6: LookUp(Collection, ID = 3).Item_Value,

});

Again, thanks for your input

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@VaidasG 

Totally agree with @mdevaney 's recommendation.

Just was pointing out that it is not impossible to put together a Formula for this in your App....which apparently you did!  😉

VaidasG
Helper III
Helper III

@mdevaney 

I had another think about your proposed approach and I'm afraid I'm missing the plot how this would work to my benefit.

Let me give you a quick inside into what I'm trying to do. I have created this app for the purpose of audit. Content (Questions) comes from DATA SharePoint list that I then display in a Gallery. Inside this gallery each question contains Yes/No answer checkbox. Results collected in a Collection I then patch to other RESULTS SharePoint list. In this list I have all data regarding audit completed (type, date auditor), audit score, and the answer per individual question in a single row, hence I create single Patch function instead of using ForAll and multiple patches.

Much appreciated for any hints if this could be designed better

ruteekapatil

Anyone here have some idea about how to store collection table in the same row... For example I have one collection where there are 15 rows are present so ,I Have to store the data in SharePoint like row 1' s data wil be filled in 1 column of sharepoint row 2's data wil be filled in 3 column of sharepoint

Please suggest if have any solution over this

@ruteekapatil 

As I can read from your post you have same challenge I had some time back. To overcome this I have hardcoded Patch function with individual lookups to source collection items.

Sample code:

Patch(SP_List, Defaults(SP_List), {
Col1: Dropdown.Selected.Value, Col2: DatePicker1.SelectedDate, Col3: TextInput_Name.Text,
Col4: LookUp(Collection, ID = 1).Item_Value,
Col5: LookUp(Collection, ID = 2).Item_Value,
Col6: LookUp(Collection, ID = 3).Item_Value,

});

Good luck!

But the issue is by using Defaults it will create new row in SharePoint, but i dont want to do that, what i want is suppose I have one form in which there a one gallery in the gallery there is repeated table okay, so now when i am putting submitform() function on my submit button so that time i am also trying to patch the gallery's data in the same row where rest submitted data will be stored in SharePoint and the gallery's data aslo stored in same row....I hope you are understanding what I am trying to say.....its actually very complicated

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,241)