cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Save data from a text input in excel table

I´m new in powerapps and i try to develop an app for my compary but i have a doubt and sorry for my writting

i made a gallery from table in excel and i have all one column in blank just for recolect data from a text input, i insert that text input in the gallery, i used a lookup to bring a specific row in the table i want uptdate from the text input but i dont know how update/save that data in my excel table..

i left a image for my case, and i hope a good soul would be help me, i would be really grateful.

Best wishes, Vicente 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jhall
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Same problem.  Doesn't matter where the Excel table is.  Now, having said that, there are tools within Flow that can write information to Excel.  In that scenario it is better to have the file in OneDrive.  

The thing about PowerApps is that it runs AS THE USER that is using the app.  So if the user doing the update doesn't have rights to the source (e.g. Excel) then it won't work.  HOWEVER, if you put your logic within Flow, then that is done under the Developer's account, vs. the Users.  So I can create a Flow that updates Excel and even though the users in PowerApps don't have the rights to Excel, I do, so it works even when other users submit data via PowerApps.

Do keep in mind that if you do something like this, the data that the PowerApp has IS STILL NOT CURRENT unless you're getting that data from Flow or from a shared SharePoint list (or similar) that Excel is referencing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jhall
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Generally, Excel data is STATIC per PowerApps.  Meaning, that you did an import of the table as it existed at the moment of development (not run time).  I'm assuming you did this: View | Data Sources | Add data Source | Excel.

In this scenario, you have created a table of information that exists completely distinct from Excel.  You imported it, but you aren't linked to it.  This means that changes to it are not written to Excel.

The way that PowerApps can write information to Excel can be accomplished a number of ways, but it is most commonly done where the Excel Tables in question are actually linked to a SharePoint list.  When the Excel Table is updated from SharePoint, it pulls the data that PowerApps wrote there.

Writing directly to Excel is unlikely to be supported directly via PowerApps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jhall thank you for your help, i just have one more question.

the source of my excel i took it from One drive and i assume is similar than share point, i want save that data in my excel in one drive.

jhall
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Same problem.  Doesn't matter where the Excel table is.  Now, having said that, there are tools within Flow that can write information to Excel.  In that scenario it is better to have the file in OneDrive.  

The thing about PowerApps is that it runs AS THE USER that is using the app.  So if the user doing the update doesn't have rights to the source (e.g. Excel) then it won't work.  HOWEVER, if you put your logic within Flow, then that is done under the Developer's account, vs. the Users.  So I can create a Flow that updates Excel and even though the users in PowerApps don't have the rights to Excel, I do, so it works even when other users submit data via PowerApps.

Do keep in mind that if you do something like this, the data that the PowerApp has IS STILL NOT CURRENT unless you're getting that data from Flow or from a shared SharePoint list (or similar) that Excel is referencing.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (2,016)