cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Saving checkbox value to a SharePoint choice column

I'm building a form which allows the user to select different types of equipment they will need for an event. The selections are in a choice column in a SharePoint list, but the users have requested to have the choices displayed as checkboxes in the app.

The choice column is titled 'Special Equipment'. I tried to use the Patch column like this in the OnCheck property of one of the checkboxes:

Patch(
    'SPList',
    Defaults('SPList'),
    {
        Special Equipment:{
            '@odata.type':"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference",
            Value: Checkbox1.Text
        }
    }
)

But it does not work, and I'm not even sure if Patch is the right route to go.

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Saving checkbox value to a SharePoint choice column

@mefitzge 

PATCH is fine but you missed the ID.  You'll need to include a reference to the position of the Choice (starting at 0, 1, 2....)

Patch(
    'SPList',
    Defaults('SPList'),
    {
            ID: Checkbox1.ID,
        }
    }
)

The hardcoded ID might look like this...

Patch(
    'SPList',
    Defaults('SPList'),
    {
            ID: 1,
        }
    }
)

See this previous post for more details.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps-Formerly/How-to-Save-Choice-field-value-usin...

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, needing the ID totally makes sense. However, now I am experiencing this error:

powerappserror.png

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@mefitzge 

Any possible missing brackets?  Seeing the whole code in the screenshot would be great!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@mdevaney 

Here's the full code:

Patch(
    'Conference Services Request',
    Defaults('Conference Services Request'),
    {
        'Special Equipment':
        {
            ID: 0,
        }
    }
)
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@mefitzge 

At this point it would probably be best if you give me more information I can try to exactly replicate your problem in a test app.  Screenshots would help here too.

Some other ideas are:

• How many possible Choices are in the SharePoint column?  How many can be selected at a single time?  If it is a simple yes no perhaps we can simplify by converting to boolean.
  • I assume you are PATCHing because the CheckBox is not within an Edit Form correct?  If your checkbox is within an Edit Form you might want to check out this step by step tutorial.  https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/multi-select-pattern-on-sharepoint-lists/

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Robotic Process Automation

Let's talk about the solution provided by Microsoft for Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,143)