cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adubry
Frequent Visitor

Saving doesn't save all my form changes, randomly

So, this is hard to duplicate, so I'm just going to describe what's happening to see if anyone else has encountered this.

I'm creating a Power App form that uses a Sharepoint List to store the values put into the form fields.

So I have 6 fields on my form, 1-line text fields. The display names by default are Parent.Default so it is showing the names of the fields as I have named those fields in the Sharepoint List. I typically don't like to use Spaces in my column names so I have them named stuff like ContactName, QualityManager, etc...

For display purposes though I want the names next to the text fields to say "Contact Name" and "Quality Manager's Name", etc...

so I click on each field, then click on the name part, hit F2 and type my new display name. I do that for all 6 fields.

Then I hit SAVE and Publish. then I click the "<- Back" button to go back to the make power apps dashboard that shows all my apps. I close my browser.

Later in the day, I go to Edit my power app, and the first fieldname that I edited looks good, and the FOURTH field that I edited looks good, but fields 2, 3, 5 and 6 have reverted back to Parent.Default as their display name.

Why is SAVE being so random about what is actually saved? hehe.

I have created 3 different forms over the past year, and it's always done this. I'll save, and then come back to my project later and RANDOM things have reverted while others have saved correctly, in random chronological order, and often stuff gets MOVED around by a few pixels here and there, or stuff gets resized by a pixel or two on random fields.

Is there any way to get SAVE to, you know, actually SAVE my form as it looks RIGHT NOW, and not randomly revert or change things the next time I load my form? 🙂 Any ideas? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
adubry
Frequent Visitor

It looks like the Quality Director field is UNLOCKED, while the General Contact field is locked.

Why would it let me F2 and change the display name if it's locked??? If it's locked, it shouldn't let me edit the name, heh, but it IS letting me edit the name. 

Glancing at my form as a whole, how will I know which fields are fake-changed (ie locked, yet visually changed) and real changed (unlocked and visually changed)? hehe. Seems like the problem here is that it's letting me change all the display names on locked fields and not warning me that those changes won't be saved. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
adubry
Frequent Visitor

Ah, so it seems that some of my changes are deceiving me. See attached screenshot.

So I changed the first field display name to "Quality Director's Name", and when I click on it, the formula bar shows "Qualitry Director's Name".

But the General Contact's Name field, it SHOWS "General Contact's Name" on my form, visually, but when I click on that field name, the formula bar says Parent.Displayname.

Why doesn't the formula bar says "General Contact's Name"? Visually I see what what I want to see, but somehow it's not actually changed. how is that possible? How was I able to change the Quality Director's name field to a TEXT string, yet the General Contact's name display is staying as a formula, even though visually it has changed? 🙂 thanks!

adubry
Frequent Visitor

It looks like the Quality Director field is UNLOCKED, while the General Contact field is locked.

Why would it let me F2 and change the display name if it's locked??? If it's locked, it shouldn't let me edit the name, heh, but it IS letting me edit the name. 

Glancing at my form as a whole, how will I know which fields are fake-changed (ie locked, yet visually changed) and real changed (unlocked and visually changed)? hehe. Seems like the problem here is that it's letting me change all the display names on locked fields and not warning me that those changes won't be saved. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,189)