cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex5p Helper III
Helper III

Saving listbox to sharepoint in seperate columns

I have a listbox that a user can select mutiple values. I need to be able to save those values separately in my sharepoint list. I have about 10 different items in the listbox and want to save each item into a different field/column. This basically will allow me to see how many people pick each certain item when analying the data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Saving listbox to sharepoint in seperate columns

Hi @alex5p ,

What is the type of  columns that save each items? What is the items property of listbox?

The final formulas is up to the column type of SP list. However i have made a test, you can refer to my example(just 4 items).

1. create 4 single-text columns for SP list, named T1, T2, T3, T4.

2. set the items property of list box as below, the 4 list items are "A","B","C","D", and append to ID for each items for convenience of lookup.

Table({Value:"A",ID:1},{Value:"B",ID:2},{Value:"C",ID:3},{Value:"D",ID:4})

3. set the following formula to button OnSelect, each column corresponds to each item. e.g. T1 column corresponds to the value that ID=1.

ClearCollect(col,ListBox1.SelectedItems);Patch('SP list',Defaults('SP list'),{Title:"Test-1",T1:LookUp(col,ID=1,Value),T2:LookUp(col,ID=2,Value),T3:LookUp(col,ID=3,Value),T4:LookUp(col,ID=4,Value)})

Annotation 2019-10-25 141343.png

Annotation 2019-10-25 141041.pngHope this can help.

Best regards,

Sik

If this post helps, then please click on “Accept as Solution” to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @alex5p ,

What is the type of  columns that save each items? What is the items property of listbox?

The final formulas is up to the column type of SP list. However i have made a test, you can refer to my example(just 4 items).

1. create 4 single-text columns for SP list, named T1, T2, T3, T4.

2. set the items property of list box as below, the 4 list items are "A","B","C","D", and append to ID for each items for convenience of lookup.

Table({Value:"A",ID:1},{Value:"B",ID:2},{Value:"C",ID:3},{Value:"D",ID:4})

3. set the following formula to button OnSelect, each column corresponds to each item. e.g. T1 column corresponds to the value that ID=1.

ClearCollect(col,ListBox1.SelectedItems);Patch('SP list',Defaults('SP list'),{Title:"Test-1",T1:LookUp(col,ID=1,Value),T2:LookUp(col,ID=2,Value),T3:LookUp(col,ID=3,Value),T4:LookUp(col,ID=4,Value)})

Annotation 2019-10-25 141343.png

Annotation 2019-10-25 141041.pngHope this can help.

Best regards,

Sik

If this post helps, then please click on “Accept as Solution” to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

alex5p Helper III
Helper III

@v-siky-msft This works perfect thank you! I just thought of this. I have a edit screen built into my  app and i want to allow the user to make an edit to the column. For instance I have 1 column named Newspaper. I changed the code a little bit from what you have and have a yes import into the column instead of grabbing the value. So when someone picks Newspaper it's column should say yes. I wanted to make the column as a choice column so when the user goes back to edit they only have an option to either select yes or no. I get an error saying expected record and found type text which is expected.

I know I can get this to work with just using dropdowns but I would have like 10 dropdowns which would be too overwhelming/ugly so that kinda why I am trying to go the route of using a listbox.

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @alex5p ,

Do you mean that you hardcode the "Yes" in you patch formula, and when users select the newspaper in the list box, then patch yes to column, right?

If my understanding is right, I have modify my formulas to fit your requirment, please take for reference:

I modify one of items to "NewsPaper", when it is selected, the "YesOrNo" Column(Choices type) will be filled with Yes. If you want to patch a choices to column, you have to patch a record, so use LookUp function to match the record of chocies.

The items property of ListBox: 

Table({Value:"A",ID:1},{Value:"Newspaper",ID:2},{Value:"C",ID:3},{Value:"D",ID:4})

The OnSelect of Button:

ClearCollect(col,ListBox1.SelectedItems);
Patch(Approvals,Defaults(Approvals),{Title:"Test-1",T1:LookUp(col,ID=1,Value),YesOrNo:If(2 in col.ID,LookUp(Choices(Approvals.YesOrNo),Value="Yes")),T3:LookUp(col,ID=3,Value),T4:LookUp(col,ID=4,Value)})

Annotation 2019-10-28 100419.pngAnnotation 2019-10-28 100510.png

Hope this can help.

Best regards,

Sik

alex5p Helper III
Helper III

@v-siky-msft 

Hi sik thanks for responding. I actually ended up  making a dropdown menu with yes/no that is invisible on the screen. The default dropdown choice was set to yes to be able to pull that yes into my choice column for my sharepoint list and then I did this code.

Newspaper:LookUp(col,ID=2,forPromoMenu.SelectedText),

This allowed me to have a dropdown menu if a user ever has to change their choice within a form. Thanks again for you help! I have been struggling with this and you definitely helped me out!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,465)