cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tibbias
Frequent Visitor

Scan code with phone and get result on PC

I have been thinking about an idea for a couple of days now, but I'm not sure how the execution would work out. 

Could it be possible to have a power apps connected to a database with information about certain products in stock for say, with a desktop version displaying all information about the product. And then with you phone, scan a datamatrix or a QR code on the product or package with a mobile version of the app. Then connect it together somehow so that when you scan the code the information will pop up on the PC for the user to look at. Basically like a handheld scanner connected to the PC.

Is it possible to store the value somewhere from the phone side and then PC side look for a value at the same place and when you have a match of the data the PC will how the results? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
iAm_ManCat
Super User
Super User

Yeah you could store the list row ID and other details in a single row that is associated to that user, but then you'd need to have on the desktop a timer running that polls for the item in that list by refreshing the datasource and checking if there's a row for the currently logged in user. Then you could have a notification icon that once you click the notification in the desktop client it deletes the row to clear the notification and allow other notifications to show up.

That's probably how i'd implement it, with the check using:

!IsBlank(Lookup(datasourcename, userEmailColumn = User().Email))

then when you click the notification it saves the lookup to a variable and takes you to another screen where the data is shown

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
iAm_ManCat
Super User
Super User

Yeah you could store the list row ID and other details in a single row that is associated to that user, but then you'd need to have on the desktop a timer running that polls for the item in that list by refreshing the datasource and checking if there's a row for the currently logged in user. Then you could have a notification icon that once you click the notification in the desktop client it deletes the row to clear the notification and allow other notifications to show up.

That's probably how i'd implement it, with the check using:

!IsBlank(Lookup(datasourcename, userEmailColumn = User().Email))

then when you click the notification it saves the lookup to a variable and takes you to another screen where the data is shown

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

I manage to get it to work with your method, but i used a Excel sheet as my database. Its a bit slow and can take some time for the information to update. Is there a better way than Excel to store the information between the apps?

I would use a SharePoint List rather than Excel myself - much quicker.

(and if you have premium licensing then use Dataverse)

@iAm_ManCat

Thanks!
Sancho Harker, MVP

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,539)