cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthew12333333
Resolver I
Resolver I

Scrolling in a gallery is laggy

I have a gallery with 20 items, and when I scroll down, it's stop sometimes and I can't scroll for a time. Like 5 seconds later, when I stop scrolling, I redo the scrolling and sometimes it is working. Same issue when scrolling up. Do you know how to fix that? I'm with a list SharePoint.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Ginko
Helper III
Helper III

For starters, sharepoint isn't the best data source for performance. You can try to increase the Data row limit in your apps settings. Also, scroll through the Experimental features page and enable a number of the efficiency options in there, they've made a world of difference in my experience.

Ginko_0-1654891403712.png

Be conscious of how hard your gallery has to work in order to pull items. If your Item property is super complex or relies on a ton of filters then its going to take more time for your gallery to actively apply the filters to the new items revealed from while scrolling. Imagine every scroll load is like accessing the next page of results.

matthew12333333
Resolver I
Resolver I

When I get ride of all the filters and set the data row limit to 2000, it still do the bug...

matthew12333333
Resolver I
Resolver I

When I click to the scroll bar in order to move it down, the bug don't appear, it's just when I use the scrol  wheel thaqt the bug is there in the beginning.  

Hi Matthew, unless there is something very uniquely impacting your app, I do not think you are facing a bug. To improve performance, the Gallery loads in batches. It doesn't load all at the same time. The lag you are referring to is most likely the loading of a new batch. It's like loading a second page of a Google search. Using a collection may help as this is the developer telling the app to load X number of items by creating a bucket of results.

But I notice that this appears also when I scroll up (when data is already loaded). I also noticed that this can be recurrent (it can reappear). 

The previous batch is likely discard for performance and needs to be retrieved the same way as scrolling down.

The only way we will be able to know for certain if this is a bug or just awareness of PowerApps abilities would be for you to upload a video showing the issue you are witnessing.

matthew12333333
Resolver I
Resolver I

I notice that: when I scroll and the bug appear and I do not move the mouse it will stop like in the video, but when I decide to move the mouse, it scroll again! Weird!

@Ginko have you see it?

What column/data is your gallery sorted on? It almost looks like as a new batch is loaded, the gallery wants to re-sort the viewable items which is jumbling the last seen order of items. See how the bottom of the scroll at 0:06 shows 23,21,19,18 descending? What if the sort set as descending by #. This re-organizing per loaded batch is what appears to be causing an ugly viewing experience, its making you wait to do its work.

Can you please provide what you have in your Item property?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (2,979)