cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cleve
Advocate I
Advocate I

Search Doesn't Work in Model-Driven App

Search doesn't work for most tables in my model-driven app. 

image.png

The thing I searched for is the first record on that screen.
image.png 

Search works on other tables/screens.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
GarethPrisk
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Have you added Deal # to the search columns in the Quick Find view?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/customerengagement/on-premises/customize/choose-and-con...

What kind of column is Deal #? Some types (complex calculated, and some others) cannot be searched.

View solution in original post

cleve
Advocate I
Advocate I

In the Quick Find View, on the right hand side of the screen, toward the bottom, there is a section called "Find by..."

image.png

This section defines what the search box can see, or what columns it will search.

Click "Edit find table columns..." 

image.png

then check off the ones you want to add and click Apply.

cleve_0-1625801554995.png

In other words, @GarethPrisk was right, but the phrasing in the MSFT documentation is different from what is in Dataverse. Posting these screen caps here in case anyone else is as lost as I was.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GarethPrisk
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Have you added Deal # to the search columns in the Quick Find view?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/customerengagement/on-premises/customize/choose-and-con...

What kind of column is Deal #? Some types (complex calculated, and some others) cannot be searched.

@GarethPrisk Thanks for the quick response.

The Deal # column is a lookup to the deal table. Even my text columns cannot be searched.
I added all the same columns in Dataverse from the Active view to the "Quick Find Active pricing" view. After saving and publishing, nothing seems to have changed.

Is there something I need to change in the app after updating the view?

That row is shown in that view, without a search?

The newer behavior in MDAs is to search against the current view, instead of toggling back to the quick find view itself. If the record isn't shown in the view, before you search, then searching won't add rows that go beyond the filtering properties of the view.

You can also hit CTRL+F5 in most browsers to force the browser to get a newer cache.

cleve
Advocate I
Advocate I

That record was in the "Active View" before I searched. I just searched for one of the records at the top of the list to test the search functionality. I wanted to search for something I knew was there.

GarethPrisk
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

That's a bit odd. The only thing I can think of is that the entered value isn't matching exactly. Without wildcard (*), it will try to search explicitly as a StartsWith type of query.

If you copy/paste from Excel, for example, that Deal # may have a trailing space or something that is contributing to it to not matching the Primary Field (the display name), of the record.

I cannot replicate this in my environments, so I don't think its a platform bug. 😞

cleve
Advocate I
Advocate I

All of the records begin with B, and I searched for B* and got nothing.

I tried searching for EF* to find something from one of my text columns and also got nothing.

cleve
Advocate I
Advocate I

In the Quick Find View, on the right hand side of the screen, toward the bottom, there is a section called "Find by..."

image.png

This section defines what the search box can see, or what columns it will search.

Click "Edit find table columns..." 

image.png

then check off the ones you want to add and click Apply.

cleve_0-1625801554995.png

In other words, @GarethPrisk was right, but the phrasing in the MSFT documentation is different from what is in Dataverse. Posting these screen caps here in case anyone else is as lost as I was.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,203)